Dyeing

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Dyeing

Post by andyroo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:01 pm

The consensus is that dyed fish such as Y. modesta tend to have shorted lifespans due to either the process, stress or actual toxicity of the dyes used.
But what actually kills the fish? Are they more suceptible to bacterial infections or something similar? Or is it that the people who buy these unfortunates don't know (or care to know) how to keep them?
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Re: Dyeing

Post by andyroo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:04 pm

?
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:25 pm

andyroo wrote:?
+1

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:04 am

EmilyMarie85 wrote:
andyroo wrote:?
+1

..++1

Current betta count...Too many. :P

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:19 pm

From what I understand, the chemicals which are used in the process are very harmful to fish (acids to eat away the slime coat, dyes, etc), the process itself causes stress. Stress and the physical harm that the fish suffer can result in increases susceptibility to diseases, both can also reduce life span.

It is very likely that a lot of people who are new to fishkeeping buy more dyed fish than those with experience. It is also probably true that those without experience are less able to tend to an ill fish.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:56 pm

issue is that I've got 1x Y. mod (and an unknown that looks like a Y.mod, actually like yellowfin but with yellow dorsal) and the only Y.mods available are dyed.
I can either wait (maybe years) for another opportunity to build a proper school (again), thus supporting this dastardly activity, or I can make my lovely fish wait and his/her neuroses build.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:57 am

I feel that it is better to *not* support the practice, even at the cost of a lonely fish because the difference is between encouraging fish to be killed/hurt and a well cared, but lonely individual. For me, the first is always much worse.

Have you investigated other options? Found out the regulations in your country for importing? Or maybe get a school of a similar species, such as Yasuhikotakia eos, for example?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

Lucia80

Post by Lucia80 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:42 am

Hi
a few months ago I had dyed my hair red but my natural hair color nis dark brown almost black and the dyue has pretty much faded so my hair just looks a little lighter brown. It's lenght is a little past my shoulder and Im gonna get my layers fixed and my bangs cut shorter. But I wanna dye it differently I really want highlight but they can't be blonde cuz my mom won't let me dye it blonde highlights or anything... any ideas ??
:) :)

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:05 am

random :? :? :? :? :? Thats like off topic heeps.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8