Red Tail Shark

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

piggy4

Re: Red Tail Shark

Post by piggy4 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I think anyone who get into the hobby sooner or later ends up keeping RTBS's they're pretty irrisistable really , and quite beautiful to observe ,but they can be little devils :) I do think that Botia type loaches are ideal tank mates though , as they are strong and can defend themselves if nessesary , i did once try 6 in a 48x24x18 tank of mixed Botia's and it worked for a while because the tank was saturated with hygro polysperma plants , so disputes could be avoided by simply dissapearing into the jungle ! my problem started when I over pruned the tank and the plants never grew back as they were , leaving the Sharks out in the open to spar :? anyway I ended up taking them to a local shop , they had grown well too 8)

Though I haven't tried any for years I have a few Red Finned Sharks , and though they will have the odd tiff they are'nt as feisty as red Tails :!: though they do like a bit of space ,and are a bit territorial .

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:15 pm

I have a RTS who Ive had for 3+ years now. I keep it with Giant Danios and Loaches. It was close to 1.5" when I got it. It might be boss of the tank, chasing the danios and all, but the YoYo loaches keep it in check. It is close to 5" right now, if not longer. I see it chasing fish at times, but I also see it being very placid. Like everyone has said, they all seem to have different personalities and moods. Awesome fish :D

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:44 am

Yeah I agree they are stunning ,sad to think they are extinct in the wild ?

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:43 am

Ive heard about that. very sad :(
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8