Just Got a (True) Siamensis

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

franmorr1966

Just Got a (True) Siamensis

Post by franmorr1966 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Just added a Siamese Algae Eater to my 55 gallon tank and he's getting chased by a male cherry barb. :shock:

Hoping the SAE does a nice job on some brown algae I have on the plants.

Matt

Re: Just Got a (True) Siamensis

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:23 am

Hi, there is no such thing as a 'true' C. siamensis since that name is a synonym of the mysterious Epalzeorhynchos siamensis. Arguably one of the most high profile cases of incorrect naming in the hobby given the popularity of the fishes involved. What you probably have is Crossocheilus atrilmes or C. langei.

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 am

Matt wrote:Hi, there is no such thing as a 'true' C. siamensis since that name is a synonym of the mysterious Epalzeorhynchos siamensis. Arguably one of the most high profile cases of incorrect naming in the hobby given the popularity of the fishes involved. What you probably have is Crossocheilus atrilmes or C. langei.
Thanks for the unnecessary need to specify that. I have a true SAE as opposed to a Flying Fox. Does that sit a little better with you?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 am

Your first post didn't 'sit badly' with me, was just trying to share some information... :?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:01 am

Chilly in here.

I have five SAE, bought as much for their appearance as their excellent algae-eating services. If you have space I'd recommend getting at least two more. They seem to like the company and are really beautiful when shoaling.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 am

Let put some heating on eh :idea:

Hi Dave ,whats your definition of a true S A E :?:

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 pm

There are probably quite a few species that get lumped under 'true' SAE. What I have aren't flying foxes or garras of any description, so I'm happy to call them SAE! As mentioned above, they're possibly Crossocheilus atrilmes or C. langei. Definitely not C. reticulatus, anyway.

I looked into the issue over "C. siamensis" when I was first thinking about getting them but don't remember the details now. Was it something like the junior synonym of a fish that isn't even in Crossocheilus?

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of mine from about a year ago.

They've grown a lot in the last year.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 am

Nice fish Dave , how big are they now ?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:14 am

They aren't monsters yet, maybe a little over 4 inches? They live with my fiancée in London while I'm finishing up my PhD in York, so I'll try to get some pictures when I'm down visiting on the weekend.

Any pictures from franmorr1966?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 am

Superb Pictures Dave. 8)

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

Fabulous pictures, and mine looks just like that. When I got it, he was as long as the cherry barbs; now he's surpassing the cherry barbs. :-)

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

I have a 55 gallon with 6 med sized silver dollars and now 3 clown loaches, med sized. (I gave my 4th away to my local LFS. It continually harassed the silver dollars. Very strange). I also have ten cherry barbs. I read that Siamensis are territorial; better either one to an aquarium or several. That's why I was reluctant to get more than one. I'd be happy to get more--how many? What are your experiences? I'm afraid to overcrowd the 55 gallon when these guys reach their potential size. By that time, though, I hope to have a larger tank! But until then, does my tank have room for 4 Siamensis, perhaps, along with the other inhabitants?

Thank you.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:58 pm

A lot of fish keeper's tanks are overstocked ,but with experience and strict maintenance it can be done ! but if you are new to the hobby then try to stick within the guidelines , with respect if you are asking advice I'd guess you would be overstocked so keep up good maintenance and observation before taking any stocking risks ?

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 pm

piggy4 wrote:A lot of fish keeper's tanks are overstocked ,but with experience and strict maintenance it can be done ! but if you are new to the hobby then try to stick within the guidelines , with respect if you are asking advice I'd guess you would be overstocked so keep up good maintenance and observation before taking any stocking risks ?
Hi again.

I know the tank would be overcrowded with 5 Siamensis, though I'd know I'd time to buy before reaching the overcrowding point. I think I'm more concerned about behavior than overcrowding at this point. Is it true that Siamensis are territorial? This is why I only got one. I'd love to see a group do a better job on some of the algae in the tank so five would be great. But I don't want upset among the species or strength in numbers where the Silver Dollars are concerned. They're ridiculously nervous as it is.

My filter is suitable for a 75 gallon, not a 55 and I'm back to performing weekly water changes again.

Thanks.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi Fran if your fish are the same as the one in Dave's pic then I would keep them as a group :) they may have a loose pecking order but not aggresive, in fact I've always kept them as a group myself , currantly I'm down to two fish and they are fine , no aggression at all , I've also got seven C. reticulatus in the same tank , no probs ! GOOD LUCK 8)