Plumbed water feeds for larger tanks

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

Plumbed water feeds for larger tanks

Post by millsn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 am

I have a 150 UK gallon tank with a plumbed water feed which I use for water changes. I have noticed that my clown loach fins now have mottled black fins since they've been introduced to the plumbed tank. In my previous tank I always used stresscoat to remove chlorine and their fins didn't have this "feature". So if anyone could help me out with a couple of questions I'd appreciate it:
1) Do I need a dechlorinator unit
2) If so, where's a good unit to buy and should I be looking for any particular features?

Many thanks in advance

UVvis

Re: Plumbed water feeds for larger tanks

Post by UVvis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:05 am

Do you have any filtration before the new tap water goes into the tank?

A good lignite catalytic carbon will remove chlorine and chloramines.

millsn

Post by millsn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:14 pm

There is no filtration before the water enters the tank. I am wondering what the traditional solution here is. I have seen in line dechlorinators before but can't recall the manufacturer. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-treatmen ... _info.html Is anyone using anything similar for their tanks?

Interestingly (given I have one albeit nothing from this particular company) it seems that UVs have an effect on chlorine and chloramine according to these claims
http://www.aquafineuv.com/UVTechnology/UVFAQs.aspx

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 pm

That is similar to the carbon filters I have used in the past.

UV light can be used, but it takes a pretty strong dose. Carbon filtration is usually a more cost effective solution for the small scale.

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:39 am

I have one of these
http://www.aquariumsuperstore.co.uk/Aqu ... V-55w.html but no idea if that's strong enough.

I think I'll get a carbon canister of some some sort, just don't know which and can't help thinking there's something out there that aquarium specific that I haven't yet found

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 am

Hi millsn, have you seen a product called Evolution Aqua Dechlorinator? It's a in-line tap water de-toxifier. You can get them in two sizes, 12 inch to treat 150,000 litres and 30 inch to treat 350.000 litres. Here's a link. :D

http://www.swelluk.com/koi-carp/koi-pon ... 28440.html

Evolution Aqua De-Chlorinator In-Line tap water De-Toxifier, now available from Swell UK

As all fishkeepers know, it is necessary to remove chlorine and other impurities from tap water when introducing it to a pond or aquarium.

Failure to do this can result in fish health problems and it also adversely affects the growth of beneficial bacteria in all filters.

The most common method of de-chlorination is to add chemical treatments to break down the chlorine. This method is costly and can require accurate measurement of the amount of water to be treated.

The De-Tox de-chlorinator simply connects in-line to a hose pipe with standard hose fittings (supplied). The De-Tox carbon filter removes the toxins in tap water prior to it coming into contact with your fish and filters.

◦No messy cartridge changes - just unclip and replace.
◦Highest grade activated carbon.
◦100% fish safe.
◦Extremely high toxin removal rate.
◦Simple to use - straight out of the box.
◦Extremely economical - lowest cost per gallon of water treated.
◦Clean and 'no hassle' water changes via hose.
◦Can be used on a constant trickle feed.
◦ideal for first fills.
Hi-Grade Activated Carbon Removes:

◦chlorine.
◦chloramine.
◦bromine.
◦malachite green.
◦many dyes.
◦colour e.g. humic acids.
◦organics e.g. proteins.
◦antibiotics.
◦hormones.
◦ozone.

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:17 am

As a general FYI,

A good water treatment carbon that is made to adsorb chloramines will get chlorine too. The coal based carbon for drinking water treatment is usually cheaper and better for this than cellulose based coal carbons. The cellulose stuff is what you see lots of in the hobby aquarium market, for some reason, as most types are made for air filtration versus water filtration.

Honestly, a hardware/plumbing store will likely have most everything you need. A good high grade catalytic carbon is great stuff for this purpose.

millsn

Post by millsn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:46 pm

I'll compare the products when I can see them. Thanks for the thoughts. How was your stock Graeme?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi millsn, I'll send you a PM. :D

millsn

Post by millsn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:46 pm

For info I got the unit Graeme suggested and the fish are now much happier after a water change. Great suggestion