quartine tank for new clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chris brown

quartine tank for new clowns

Post by chris brown » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 am

i have just brought 7 10-15cm clowns, i picked them up from a guy that has a healhy tank and was wondering do i need to quartine them b4 they go in?
I no i should do it with fish i get from the petshop etc because i dont no anything about them but this tank was well looked after and he didnt have any problems, they are nice fit looking fish.

should i be treating them in the quartine tank for anything?

thanks for any help chris

Emma Turner

Re: quartine tank for new clowns

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Quarantining is definitely a good idea for loaches. I wouldn't recommend treating them with anything (except possibly a wormer) if they appear healthy. Just keep a very close eye out for whitespot as even the most healthy looking of loaches can suddenly break out in this when moved from an established home, usually a couple of days after moving them to new quarters.

Good luck,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Quarantining is definitely a good idea for loaches. I wouldn't recommend treating them with anything (except possibly a wormer) if they appear healthy. Just keep a very close eye out for whitespot as even the most healthy looking of loaches can suddenly break out in this when moved from an established home, usually a couple of days after moving them to new quarters.

Good luck,
Emma
thanks for your reply. I have already added them to the tank now but am keeping an eye on them.
Can i treat the hole tank to a wormer?
what brand would you recommend? i live in new zealand and my pet shop doesn't think fish get worms!!! so they don't carry anything(dumb arses)
would a vet sell it?

the tank is 700L and has 2 external filters will i have to remove anything from them to treat the tank?

thanks for the help much appreciated
chris

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 pm

If any of your loaches appear skinny despite good appetites, then it would be worth worming the whole tank. Over here in the UK we are able to buy some wormers such as Kusuri Wormer Plus and JBL Nedol off the shelf, but others such as Levamisole hydrochloride has to be prescribed by a fish friendly vet (can be difficult to find!). There are quite a few aquatics companies that sell through eBay, but you'd have to check whether you were allowed to bring the products in to NZ.

Hope the new clowns are settling in well,

Emma

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Emma Turner wrote:If any of your loaches appear skinny despite good appetites, then it would be worth worming the whole tank. Over here in the UK we are able to buy some wormers such as Kusuri Wormer Plus and JBL Nedol off the shelf, but others such as Levamisole hydrochloride has to be prescribed by a fish friendly vet (can be difficult to find!). There are quite a few aquatics companies that sell through eBay, but you'd have to check whether you were allowed to bring the products in to NZ.

Hope the new clowns are settling in well,

Emma
would this stuf work? http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 781023.htm
it has levamisole in it
would i have to take anything out of the filter canister?

i will ask my petshop to try get the jbl nedol in.iv seen jbl products there b4

thanks for the help

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Chris,

Eeeek! I wouldn't touch that stuff with a barge pole! Some of those ingredients are definitely not a good idea for your fish. If you are sure you do need to worm your loaches, then see what your local store could order in for you first (the JBL product is very good).

When using any treatments, you should remove any activated carbon from the filter (if you use it) and some require that UV sterilisers (again if you have one) be turned off for the duration. Some treatments have an adverse effect on filter bacteria, whilst others don't affect it - so be sure to read up on individual treatments first and keep a close eye on water chemistry.

Good luck!
Emma

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 pm

haha ok that's cool, it was the only thing a search for Levamisole came up with on trade me.
I think all the clowns look ok but 2 of the dwarf chain loaches look a bit skinny but they are only about 15mm long so hard to tell.
I have noticed white lines on the underside of the plecos belly inside the skin when they are on the glass i will try get a photo next time i see it.

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 am

I found a photo that you can kind of see the white line inside the pleco not sure if it a worm or not what do you think Emma?

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... C10608.jpg

if the link works

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 am

still havnt found any wormers in pet shops. here is another link of a wormer for birds
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =424338970
what do you think emma or anyone else in the no
thanks chris