Is it enough space?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownLoachSharky

Is it enough space?

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 pm

hello,
I am planning to get 4 clown loaches and one red tailed shark for my 2 foot tank. I may upgrade to a 3 of 4 foot in a year or two but will the 2 foot be big enough for the juvenile loaches and shark? I also have a power head, hanging filter and big heater.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

starsplitter7

Re: Is it enough space?

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 pm

You didn't mention how big those loaches are. I would skip the shark since they can be nippy. And go straight for the 3 or 4' tank and prepare to upgrade to a 6' tank. In realiaty clowns should be in a group of 6 or more.

Have you considered keeping one of the smaller fish like B. striata? They are fun, pretty and stay about 3-4". The clowns get 12-16". They can easily be stinted in the smaller tanks which leads to malformities. There are other smaller loaches that would work better in a smaller tank.

Where do you live? That may determine what kind of fish you have available to you. :)

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 am

Yea In my area I have only seen Pakistan loaches and clowns. Also the clowns they sell are pretty small about 4cm and I heard they are slow growing so I thought it would be ok with my small tank 4 a couple of years. Thnx for reply :)

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:02 am

I like the striata and I wish my loacal aquarium had them. :cry:

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 am

We have heard that imports to Australia are hard to come by in fish. I can relate. We have a hard time finding fish in Florida.

The clowns are slow growing, but my 4 cm clowns hit 4 " in about 2 years. In larger tanks they grow faster and have less chance of being stunted. I think they get stunted in the small tanks and get the rep of being slow growing because of it. If they went into a 3 foot I think then you would have a good starter tank.

Is the red tail shark in your avatar your shark? He is grogeous. What is his disposition? I know their personalities vary. Keep in mind I have never kept a red tail, so I am far from being an expert (not that I am an expert in any fish, but I do keep a lot of fish and I do a lot of reading).

I know Yoyos aren't as pretty as clowns, but they stay smaller and have a little more umph to deal with a red tail. Of course if they all grow up together, there probably wouldn't be any problems. I have two skunks in a community tank. They have a ferocious reputation, but they grew up in a community from a very young age and have learned to behave themselves. I haven't had a lick of trouble with them, so it really does depend on the fish and how they grow up.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:00 pm

I think the Red-tailed Black Shark is a magnificent fish and can understand why you would want to keep one with Clown Loaches.

I have done this successfully and so do many other people on this forum and elsewhere so I have no doubt that it can work.

However, I would keep them in a much bigger tank than 2ft as this would be far too restrictive. I'd suggest starting with a 4ft and move up to a 6ft.

All the best,
Steve.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 am

Yea I've had a 2 foot for a while in storage and took it out. And my mum said I can't get any tank bigger than a 4 ft. So I will get one. And have you used peat in an aquarium? Does it work.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 pm

No experience of the peat, but I wouldn't think it would be a great idea with digging fish !

I prefer gravel but some of my tanks have sand. Of more importance is having good filtration.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:44 pm

It might be good floating in the aquarium or in filter :wink: