Plants to keep with my loaches???

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

faelet

Plants to keep with my loaches???

Post by faelet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 am

I just got two golden dojo loaches and I have some fake plants and hiding spaces, but I want to add real plants. I know they move around plants a lot so what are some good plants to keep with them??? Thanks!

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Plants to keep with my loaches???

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:21 am

How about anubias, java fern and mosses. You can tie them to some wood or rocks and can't move them I guess. Good lookers too
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

justice

Post by justice » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm

I have had luck with Cryptocoryne wendtii. All of my fish seem to like to eat it, and it tends to grow faster than they eat it :) I don't use any special lighting or CO2.

the loach master

Post by the loach master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:06 pm

i dont know what kind of plants i have but i have at least 10 different kind(all virtical growers) and none of my loaches realy touch them.

but there is a plant, that all my fish love to munch on and it rapidly grows back, and it kind of looks like grass growing up and you can find them at an pet or LF store.
If someone said that they got power without violence or without someone getting hurt in anyway, they have lied to you

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm

I have golden dojos in a planted yank and they behave very nicely with the plants. I have water wisteria and it grows tall and thick (I do not have CO2 but have a decent T5HO light and the tank is in a well lit room. I do not think this matters with water wisteria as it grows like a weed even in my lower lit tanks.
The dojos LOVE to lounge in the branches and sometimes they will just hang there comfortably and look atyou with those cute, beady eyes. They do not seem to eat it, but have dislodged a couple of younger plants that I pinched off from the top of one that got too big ( all you have to do is pick off the lower leaves and bury the stem in the substrate). This tank has a sand substrate which the dojos also love. They snoot around with their noses under the surface, searching for baby snails or other snacks, I guess!
glenna

surgeon

Post by surgeon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48 am

i'd recommend just getting a variety of plants and seeing what survives. Loaches (esp clowns) do destroy some plants but your tank conditions rule a lot of other types out as well! Cant go wrong with java ferns though, tough as nails.