scratched clown loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chris brown

scratched clown loach

Post by chris brown » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 am

i have just noticed one of my small clown loaches has scrathched it self down one side must of been trapped somewhere. its not moving much and breathing fast.
Should i be moving him to his own tank and treating with anything or just let him heal by himself?

I have trouble keeping track of them as there are so many and they all look the same (other than size)how do you guy/girls keep track of all your clowns?
im not even sure how many i have now 20-30 at a guess

ClownLoachSharky

Re: scratched clown loach

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:03 am

If it is breathing fast, I would say it should move to it's oWn tank. I wouldn't be so worried if it was just the scratch.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 pm

ClownLoachSharky wrote:If it is breathing fast, I would say it should move to it's oWn tank. I wouldn't be so worried if it was just the scratch.
haha yea i thort i would move him but do you think i could catch it...... no way. Anyway he stopped breathing fast and is hanging out with his mates now.
the scratch is just about taken the hole side of him top to bottom front to back
i am going to change the rocks in the tank today as the ones in there have sharp edges and that is where i suspect he got traped
ill keep you posted on his recovery

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Are you sure he didn't get in a fight. There was a similar story in Marcos's thread about his tank. He should be fine.

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 am

ClownLoachSharky wrote:Are you sure he didn't get in a fight. There was a similar story in Marcos's thread about his tank. He should be fine.

It doesnt look like a fight mark, its more like a grase like hes slid along a rock on his side.
The skin or scales looks like it has peeled off half way down one side and was just flapping there but has come off now and is healing fast

just brought 9 more little guys today should be here tomorow :roll:

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 am

The clown loach with the scratch has healed and is happy as cant even tell him from the others.
All the new clowns are fattening up nicely had one die on me, it must of jumped out of the bucket when i was transferring them into the main tank.
It went down behind the oven and i didn't find it till about a week later :cry: .
I counted them as they went in and thought the shop had miss counted them...dam my stupidity.

The only clowns i have ever lost are because i have done something wrong, last one i lost was 20 + cm died because i didn't tell the guy to triple bag them, they turned up with no water!! 3 out of 4 survived not nicely though they went straight from no water into main tank without acclimatising or quartine they came right eventually :roll: (what else could i had done)
still haven't ever had white spot......touch wood i don't no why if there ever was something to bring it on that surly would have done it,only thing i could think of that would be killing it is the UV light and plenty of filter cleans without killing the good bacteria.

Anyone else never had white spot and how do the prevent it? (other than the obvious ways clean water no stress etc)

the loach master

Post by the loach master » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:46 pm

this may have been a a bit till i posted this but i had ick a couple of times in my 10 gal tank and since i only had scaled fish in there i used a cure that one of my good friends use and it worked both times.
and i upgraded the 10 gal to a 20 gal with the same amount of fish, with a bamboo shrimp and snails and there has been no problems.
If someone said that they got power without violence or without someone getting hurt in anyway, they have lied to you

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

you have clown loaches in a 10 gallon?