Age/size sewellia lineolata breed?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shuwae

Age/size sewellia lineolata breed?

Post by shuwae » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm curious to know when sewellias start breeding; at what size or age. I have a group that are quite young but would like to know when to look for the fry so that I don't vacuum them when doing my water changes. I don't plan to make the loaches breed but I do feel bad if I know there are going to be fry in the tank.

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Age/size sewellia lineolata breed?

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:48 am

I doubt they wouldn't breed for a good while but you should watch out nontheless because you never know do you :wink: . Also do you have a proper tank setup for them to breed?
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

Menu

Post by Menu » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:06 am

My aquarium breed S. lineolata start breeding at a size of 3,5 - 4cm and an age of about one year.
A water change always stimulates the fish to spawn.
Sewellia fry are very little, you need extreme good eyes or an good optician :wink:

Here some pics of the spawning an the jungsters: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22375

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:58 am

ClownLoachSharky wrote:I doubt they wouldn't breed for a good while but you should watch out nontheless because you never know do you :wink: . Also do you have a proper tank setup for them to breed?
No, I don't plan to breed them so they're in a tank with gastromyzons and a few shrimps. I have a filter and two powerheads which I know would pretty much kill any fry but might have one or two survive, if I'm lucky.

Thank you, Menu, for the the info and lovely photos of your sewellias :D . I'm not sure how old they are as they are wild caught but are around the 4cm. I guess I should check the tank more closely when doing water changes.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Check the bottom of the bucket after you siphon. I slowly pour most of the water out and check the last inch or so carefully with a flashlight. They are tiny! 1 or 2 mm.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks. Now, I'll know what to look for :)

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 pm

My s. lineolata are at it again. Don't flush those water changes without a very close look!

http://youtu.be/1mxdpU7LNK8

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 am

Nice finding!
Will they eat algae from such small time.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am

I'm guessing they graze aufwuchs same as the adults odyssey. I don't have tank space to treat them specifically so I've been dumping them in a shrimp/fry tank and letting the strong survive. There are 15 or so growing out from previous spawns.