Will A Yoyo shoal with others?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fredmertz

Will A Yoyo shoal with others?

Post by fredmertz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

I have a single yoyo and I want to add 4 or so new loaches, but I am having trouble finding other yoyos locally. If I add 4 zebras or red tails, will the single yoyo shoal with them or be an outcast?

starsplitter7

Re: Will A Yoyo shoal with others?

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm

What country are you in? Yoyos are seasonal like many loaches. If you are in the US, the yoyos will be back.

How big is your tank? Yoyos get pretty large. I would get something like striata or histies, if you can't find yoyos. They will hang out together, but when yoyos are available, add some to your group.

fredmertz

Post by fredmertz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I have a 75g tank. That's interesting about the yoyos being seasonal (and yes, I am in the US). Any idea why that is the case?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:05 pm

I jjust notice that sometimes you can't go in a store without seeing Yoyos and other times they are gone. I would say they are often wild caught and they breed seasonly, but I do not know. I have 9, but it took me four years to get that many.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

yoyos are round so often here. maybe cause were close to malaysia and indonesia where the farms are. Icould probably get at least 100 in one day by doing some shop runs. And i dont think they will properly shoal.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8