Greetings + Tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jalthran

Greetings + Tank

Post by Jalthran » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello everyone!
I've been a reader of this website for about a year now but i have never registered for these forums. That changed today as i thought it might be a good idea to share with you all what my new project is and at the same time make sure I'm doing it right,

I have a 4 ft tank (Dimensions in my siggy), I'm setting it up as a Reticulated Loach Biotope, or as close to a biotope as i possibly can. I'll list below what I'll be using and stocking, if anyone can see any major problems please let me know, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll be sure to post pictures when i can as i go about setting it up.

Cheers
Jal

Tank:

Substrate:
River Sand (a mixture of 'sand' and larger sized rock particles about 2-3mm)

Plants:
Lace Fern
Hygrophilia
Hygrophillia Pices
Vallisneria

Bogwood:
Large Mangrove stump (I know, not from the area) With little 'tunnels' for hiding spots

Stock:
10 Reticulated Loaches

With the above stocking of 10 loaches, i have used Aqadvisorand it claims i should be fine with that many in a tank my size, if anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know so i know not to buy that many!

Cheers
Jal
L 122cm x D 35cm x H 45 cm
Planned: 8 to 10 Reticulated Loaches in a vague semblance of a biotope

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Greetings + Tank

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 am

Hello, great to see an ausy here. what coincidence that your setting up a 4ft yoyo biotope. im also setting one up for more yoyos as it is a bigger 4ft but still very cool. are you putting in any other fish like gouramis or danios?
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:32 am

also im pretty sure vals are not asian.
Try these sites for good plants.
http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/index.html
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

Jalthran

Post by Jalthran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:51 am

ClownLoachSharky wrote:Hello, great to see an ausy here. what coincidence that your setting up a 4ft yoyo biotope. im also setting one up for more yoyos as it is a bigger 4ft but still very cool. are you putting in any other fish like gouramis or danios?
I don't plan to have anything else in there, maybe a small shoal of Kuhli loaches, but I'm not sure yet. I'm worried that having 10 Reticulated/Yoyo/Pakistani loaches might be close to my stocking level for that tank. If i have a little room i might try a small shoal of something that is top level friendly. If that makes sense.
ClownLoachSharky wrote:also im pretty sure vals are not asian.
Try these sites for good plants.
http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/index.html
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html
Damn, i could have sworn i found a biotope example in the murky depths of the internet that had them listed as being for that biotope. To be honest with you i have found it exceptionally difficult to find any hard/good/specific biotope information for the Reticulated Loaches that go into enough depth of knowledge. :(

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:12 am

same here. i think there are a few crypts that are indian/pakistani though. those sites both sell crypts like crazy andthey are da bomb. and i think those waters yoyos come from are murky pools and clean fresh running streams. biotopes are soo hard to do. I actually prefer community though

Jalthran

Post by Jalthran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:27 am

ClownLoachSharky wrote:same here. i think there are a few crypts that are indian/pakistani though. those sites both sell crypts like crazy andthey are da bomb. and i think those waters yoyos come from are murky pools and clean fresh running streams. biotopes are soo hard to do. I actually prefer community though
From what i have read around the place i know they prefer slower running streams. I have a power head but I'm not sure if i should sue it. I think I'll just leave them with just the current created by my filter.

Originally the information for biotopes that i found for loaches came from Badmans; However even that was a bit sketchy.

I ordered my plants from livefish, I haven't ordered from there before so we'll see how they go. I'll check out your links too!

EDIT: Fixed Link

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 am

yes, livefish. i was gonna buy my plants from them but they are a bit pricey compared to others. if you are familiar with live fish, why not get some dwarf chain loaches too (if moneys not a problem).

Jalthran

Post by Jalthran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:35 am

ClownLoachSharky wrote:yes, livefish. i was gonna buy my plants from them but they are a bit pricey compared to others. if you are familiar with live fish, why not get some dwarf chain loaches too (if moneys not a problem).
Yeah I was looking at them. But like i was saying before i just need to make sure 10 Yoyos aren't overstocking my tank limits before i add anything else :D

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 am

hmm, big filters will solve that. i dont really think 10 yoyos is overstocking a 4fter. Lots of live plants will also help with ammonia and nitrates. And for yoyos, its not really water movement but super highly oxygenated water so lots of airstones and you should hook that powerhead up and put the air into that.