Advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Advice

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:20 am

led lights? they dont work with heavily pt. Try t5ho high output or mh lights. shame u couldnt do mts. i did it when it was about 38degrees celsius (100 farenheight. dried twice in one day!
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 pm

With the 150 gallon we have now we are running 40 leds over it and the plants absolutely love it. We have a mix of 3 watt at 6500K, royal blues, 4 reds and 4500K. We are running 60 degree optics on the 6500 and 4500 leds. We are getting excellent growth. and flowering as well. We would call it heavily planted. The only complaint is algae on the back wall.

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm

We were thinking of running 160 leds over the 220 with all set on dimmers. The count would probably be 64 6500K, 60 Royal Blues, 30 4500K, 6 reds. I am still up in the air about adding any violet. I don't see a reason too. Have you all not had good luck with LED's?

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm

havent used that many so wouldnt know but it sounds good! fts please

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 pm

what does fts mean? Yes hopefully it works out. Alot of money to put out, but never want to have to change a bulb again.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 am

front view shot

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:30 pm

fts = full tank shot

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 pm

We definately will we have added the substrate and are going to do a few water changes and thenb be ready for the fish. We are ordering in 10 kubotais next week

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

planning on more kubs in such a big tank?

Jen910

Post by Jen910 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can help me, I have just recently purchased three clown loaches from our local pet shop (this was about a week ago now). Over the last couple of days I have noticed that two of the loaches are continually fighting and one of them is now without a tail!!! I understand that they have a bit of picking to get the heirachy right, but one of them has no tail anymore, he keeps sleeping on top of our rock structure, I think just to get away from the other two.

So I guess what I am asking all of you professional clown loach keepers is, well is this normal?? Should I get him out of there of just leave them and see what happens. Sorry, its not very often I have gone to my tank to find a fish completely tailess!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help me with advice!!

Thanks heaps

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:38 pm

ClownLoachSharky wrote:planning on more kubs in such a big tank?
We have learned our lesson on adding several hundred dollars worth of fish to a tank. The first 10 will be sort of an experiment to see if they live. If no problems we are planning 25 or so. I think we can handle that many. We will also have 16 discus in the tank.
Jen910 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can help me, I have just recently purchased three clown loaches from our local pet shop (this was about a week ago now). Over the last couple of days I have noticed that two of the loaches are continually fighting and one of them is now without a tail!!! I understand that they have a bit of picking to get the heirachy right, but one of them has no tail anymore, he keeps sleeping on top of our rock structure, I think just to get away from the other two.

So I guess what I am asking all of you professional clown loach keepers is, well is this normal?? Should I get him out of there of just leave them and see what happens. Sorry, its not very often I have gone to my tank to find a fish completely tailess!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help me with advice!!

Thanks heaps
There are some smart people on here. Listen to them and you will get along just fine. But sorry, I am still learning about loaches as well.

Alyssa

Post by Alyssa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am

Daily water changes of a third of the water in the tank as a norm seems like a LOT to me, way overkill, unless you are addressing an actual issue. How will the water ever achieve any sort of stability if it's constantly being tinkered with would be my thought. but that's just me. Some of my best tanks had the least amount of water changes, once I hit that sweet balance then I tend to back off a little and stop being so aggressive, but that's just my experience.
Alyssa

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 am

Yes, i agree that 30% does seem excessive, normally. However, we feed heavy on the beefheart 5 times a day for the discus and angels. And we believe the culprit with the deaths was the temperature. We are still proceeding with our plan and emptying the fish out the the 150 temporarily and removing the substrate. The discus ae being moved to the 220 gallon today and the tetras and angels are being moved to 40 breeders We have adjusted the temperature to 82 on all tanks. I need to do some more checking unless someone knows, but we were thinking a group of kubotais but also looking the Hypoptopoma family (catfish) as algae eaters. I understand they are voracious eaters and can remove algae from plants leaves without damaging them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:41 pm

otos! and shrimp will clean your algae. also l046 plecs look very nice. shame they cost around800 dollars a fish in aus

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm

My goodness. $800 i felt bad for paying $100 for a coral for my reef tank. I wonder if i could get a bulk discount if I bought 6. LOL We would love some crystal reds in the tank, but are concerned with them being an expensive snack for the discus. We Could always throw some of our larger cherry reds in the tank and see what happens since we have several hundred of them. I know our discus and angels make quick meals of small ones. We never fed them any of our breeder size though.