Squabbling Zebra

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jules

Squabbling Zebra

Post by Jules » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am

Another question for you.

Came home from work today to see two of my Golden Zebra really greyed out and they appear to be squabbling. Tight close together and chasing each other in quite tight circles. Didn't appreciate actually how greyed out they can become !!! Do I need to be monitoring this or leave them to iron it out ??! I'm assuming it's a dominance issue here ? They are in a group of 5 and none of the other have greyed out or even seem particularly bothered as to what's going on..... :shock:

Many thanks

Jules

Dos-Loachez

Re: Squabbling Zebra

Post by Dos-Loachez » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 am

On this site http://www.aquabotanic.com/?tag=burmese-zebra-loach it's says that "As these fish mature their pattern lightens and becomes less distinct. Curiously, in times of aggression these and some other Botias “grey – out” in which the pattern and color washes out – almost completely."

Also on the "An Introduction to keeping botia" here is a link http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-intr ... ping-botia It's mentions "Greying-out"

Both sites basically say that it's a sign of aggression. Maybe more hiding spots would be beneficial?

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 am

How big is the tank? Not so much the gallons, but the floor space. Length? Width? What sort of decor is in there?
Is there enough room for this species to each claim a territory, and are there enough markers so each will know where their area ends? Right now the fish are saying it is not enough. They might work it out. Perhaps move some rocks around, change the area.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 am

Hi folks

Many thanks for the replies. The tank length is 4ft; very well planted (plants used to enable hiding spots if needed) along with lots of bogwood with which I've tried to create caves etc for them. Just been watching them now; the colour has come back and they appear to have settled down. I changed the decor around at the w/end to try and create some more caves and hiding spots for them. Perhaps that is what has started this off ? claiming the new bit of turf ?

Normal service appears to be resumed at the moment; colour back and each in it's own spot....

More caves required perhaps ?

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 pm

My gold zebras get into it once in a while, and no harm seems to ever come out of it. I have 6 of them in my tank, along with plenty of hiding places for them to claim. I figure they're just trying to establish dominance, as it's usually my two largest that "fight".

I've never seen any of these incidents last more than a few minutes, and I've never seen an injury result. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. I think your loaches are just acting like loaches.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks Dainbramage

Your comments are along my train of thought tbh. Was so surprised at how pale the black banding went; don't think I would have believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes !!! The two that were squabbling are of roughly the same size which made me think it was a dominance issue. Not seen it before and not since, so fingers crossed eh !!?

:D