shy loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

theweatherman

shy loach?

Post by theweatherman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 pm

new to fish and loaches bought a weather loach out of pure curiosity, being so different from goldfish etc. love him but after a few months thought he might be lonely and have added another weather loach the new loach (yet to be named) has done nothing but bury itself completely at times in the sand.. my original loach doesnt seem too bothered.. should i be worried? also after researching loaches i added the sand about a month in the original loach seems to have forgotten how to dig.. will he learn from the new one?

DainBramage1991

Re: shy loach?

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Add 2 or 3 more weather loaches and you'll have happier fish. They are very social, and when in a group (with a good aquarium setup) they tend to be very active and playful. Like most other loaches, they require clean water, enough space to swim around (a 40 gallon tank is usually considered a good minimum for weather loaches, though tank area is more important than volume), plenty of places to hide, and lots of friends of their own kind. Having a few other fish (often referred to as dither fish) swimming around in the tank with your loaches is a good idea also, as the loaches actually count on seeing other kinds of fish swimming around to know when it is safe to come out.

I hope this helps.