Did someone say 'confuzona'?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Did someone say 'confuzona'?

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:14 pm

These beautiful Homaloptera confuzona came in on Tuesday night, and after a few days now appear to be settling in well:

Emma :D
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Oh my!!! Those are beauties!! Wait until they get the "Emma" treatment and start fattening up. Its probably good they weren't there when Martin was or he might have tried to smuggle some home in his luggage. :wink:
BY the way, Emma, I've been meaning to ask you, what species of hillstreams do you have or generally have in stock?
Last edited by Jim Powers on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Hahaha! Now my hopefully new additions is out in the open!

Lovely!! :D

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:21 pm

That would make that drive worth it, Graeme.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 pm

Sure would, Jim. I've brought forwards my drive to Emma's store. :wink:

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm

That could be an empty tank after our visit Graeme, a couple of those Nigrolineata could be coming home with me I think :D .

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Thanks! :D
Jim Powers wrote:BY the way, Emma, I've been meaning to ask you, what species of hillstreams do you have or generally have in stock?
I'm always able to get hold of Beaufortia kweichowensis (but they come in under the name B. leveretti) and since the Sewellia lineolata have become available I tend to make sure I always have these in. I did have P. cheni and P. changtingensis but I think the new restrictions will stop me from getting any more of these. :cry: I've had Homaloptera smithi in on a few occasions (think I may still have some of these in stock) and also Homaloptera zollingeri a couple of times. The last time they came in under the name Homaloptera stephensoni, but I'm sure they were zollingeri's (Graeme took a few of those). I used to also order in assorted Gastromyzons/Pseudogastromyzons from Indonesia, which always turned up a few nice oddities, but I don't think I'm allowed to import those now, which is a real shame. Another recent addition was the spotted Sewellias. So I think that probably covers the 'sucker belly' type.
I have many species of Nemacheilus and Schistura in too, but again, once they are gone, I won't be able to import that many of them again. So sad :cry: . Then there's Aborichthys elongatus which are also a river species.
Oh and also that one time I got those beautiful Annamia species in from Vietnam, but I think that was a bit of a one off. :wink:

Emma

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Emma,

what is the nature of the restrictions, if I may ask? This looks like a very strange selection of what is allowed and what is not....
When you mentioned this before, I thought it was only schisturas.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Nice selection. Its too bad you won't be able to get Pseudogastros or schisturas. I just can't imagine that they would pose a threat to local fish populations. I can't imagine they would even survive the winter, for that matter.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:03 pm

I would, Mark. :wink:

Emma, those Homaloptera stephensoni/zollingeri's have turned out to look totally black with just a white upper part on their caudal fin. Very much like your Homaloptera zollingeri pictures on coppermine. Pity i cant find them in a place for to capture any decent pictures. :?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:04 pm

Here's the article from the PFK website: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=958
Further down the article, there is a list of affected species. :cry:

Emma

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Emma, from looking at that article, you will probably still be able to get cheni (often thought to be, and may actually be, myersi) and fasciatus (a synonym for changtingensis)

Graeme: My thoughts on zollingeri are that if you see them, they are probably dead. :wink: The one I have hides almost constantly during the day. He does seem to come out at night after lights out.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Graeme: My thoughts on zollingeri are that if you see them, they are probably dead. :wink: The one I have hides almost constantly during the day. He does seem to come out at night after lights out.
Thats them!! :wink:

sophie

Post by sophie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:31 pm

seriously beautiful fish.
lovely lovely lovely.
I think it's probably a very good thing I can't commit to a river tank - no matter how sluggish a floodplain it's going through :? - at the moment...
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:41 pm

Definitely need some of Nurse Emma's intensive care treatment. A bit skinny, but that's how they usually appear.
I would get a few Graeme as I think they're better in groups. Mucho aeration required and all the current you've got. They'll relish it.

I've had orthogoniata and ONCE they settle, they're long-lived, but these fish aren't easy to acclimate to aquaria.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.