Baby weather loaches born in aquarium

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

misskim

Baby weather loaches born in aquarium

Post by misskim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:42 am

Somehow my Weather Loaches spawned in my 48gal planted tank. I found the little guys in my filter last weekend. There are probably about 30 baby loaches. I have them in a temporary fish bowl home with an air stone and some java ferns to keep them safe until they are big enough to re-introduce into the main tank. If anyone else has ever had this many babies I'd love some advice. Im feeding them new life spectrum pellets, and they seem to go crazy over them, especially the little tiny guys. So far they seem pretty happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgRMkrxREk

Thomas

Re: Baby weather loaches born in aquarium

Post by Thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Very nice!

I would feed them with brine shrimp nauplii.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Congratulations. You must have a very happy, healthy tank. I would also supplement the baby's diet with live foods.

When did you get the adult weather loaches?

misskim

Post by misskim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Ive had the adults about three years. Recently moved them from a 20gal into the 48gal planted tank which must have triggered the spawning. There are three, I'm thinking the happy parents are a peppered spotted one, and an all white one. Some of the babies are showing signs of spots, and some have no markings at all.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Keep a tight cover on that fish bowl, so as the babies grow, they can't escape. They don't have to be very large to do so. Dojos are notorious escape artists, and a tight-fitting lid is an absolute must.

Also, very carefully do regular water changes to keep their water clean, but watch that you don't siphon them up. In something as small as a fish bowl, perhaps just dipping out several cups of water with a dipper and replacing it with new dechlorinated water will suffice, as long as it's done at least once a week.

I, too, would recommend supplementing their diet with live food.

The airstone is good. Keeps the water oxygenated.

Congrats on the dojo fry!

-- dojosmama