Will sewellia species breed together?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shuwae

Will sewellia species breed together?

Post by shuwae » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 pm

I plan to put 3 different sewellia species in a tank together but have no clue if they will breed, creating hybrids. Will sewellia lineolatas breed with the "spotted" ones? If they do, I may have to keep only one species or start another tank which I do not want to do. I tried googling but so far no luck on finding out if they truly breed or not. I sell off all the loach offspring and do not want to sell buyers any hybrids which is why I am asking this question.

Menu

Re: Will sewellia species breed together?

Post by Menu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 am

No, the different species do not cross with each other.
I keep five different species together and have no problems.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Thought I bring up this thread again as I have a question.

Will sewellia breviventralis breed with the spotted or lineolata species?
I have a chance to care after a small group for a couple of months and the only tank that is good for them to live in is my river tank which has the spotted and lineolata. Are they too different to interbreed? I know that a speciosa and linelata did breed together so was a little worried this might happen if they are in the same tank. My two groups breed and the breviventralis have both male and female but not sure if they breed as my friend has egg eaters in his tank. I do not have other tanks available as the only tank I have setup right now is my river, small nano, and 10g qt tank.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 am

I have never heard of any sewellia interbreeding except the speciosa and lineolata that you mentioned.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks, Jim. Just wanted to make sure they do not breed as I would hate to have hybrids.