The Loach Trap Project with lots of pictures

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

The Loach Trap Project with lots of pictures

Post by chefkeith » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Here it is.

Materials Used:
3" PVC Tee for Schedule 30 Pipe.
3" Solid Core Schedule 30 Thinwall PVC Pipe (cut 2 pieces 4" long) I didn't use the foam core PVC, because sometimes it floats.
1" PVC Pipe (cut into 6" long for Handle and 23.25" long for Stopper)
4 feet of 1/4" Black Airline Tubing (cut into 2 pieces 24" long each)
You may want to use longer airline tubing and a longer Stopper if your tank is higher than 22". Else you'll probably be getting your hands wet.

Tools Used:
Ruler
Tape Measure
Jigsaw
Scissors
Drill
Drill bits (13/64 and 5/16)
Super Glue
Clamps
Rotary Tool
Rubber Mallet
Sharpie Marker

To build the Loach Trap Base:
I drilled several 5/16" drainage holes in the 3" PVC Tee just below the slip joint. Then cleaned up the sharp edges with the rotary tool. Then gently hammered in the 4" long pieces of 3" PVC pipe to each end, along with the 3" PVC caps.

Next I super glued on the Airline Tubing and clamped it until the glue dried. I tried using other things like fishing line and shoe laces, but the airline tubing glues better, won't get tangled up, and won't harm the fish. The elasticity of airline tubing makes the handle snap into the groove on the Stopper too.
I glued the other ends into the handle, which is 6" long piece of 1" PVC pipe. I drilled a 13/64" hole near each end, then fed the tubing in, then glued it into place.

Here is the loach trap fully assembled. The Stopper on the left is 1" PVC pipe, that's cut to 23.25" long, and has 2 reducing bushings connected to one end. A 3" to 1.5", and 1.5" to 1" bushing.

On the other end of the Stopper, I used the rotary tool to grind out a groove, so that the handle secures into place.
It's a nice snug fit thanks to the tension of the airline tubing. The Loach Trap is complete.

Now to set the the trap. Just lower it into the tank, it should sink rather easily.
(As you can see, I've got a few caves in this tank, that look similar to this trap, but they are painted. I'll probably paint this trap, when I have some spare time. With the other caves, I painted the inside flat black, and the outside sand color, then stenciled on green leaves, and black loachy stripes. So if you end up buying 10 feet of this 3" pipe, you can make some pretty cool loach caves with what's leftover. The paint I used is Krylon Fusion for Plastic. They have several camouflage type colors.)
Set the handle on the side of the aquarium.
Get some bait. I'm using a Veggie Round.
Drop the bait into the stopper handle and let the bait sink into the trap.
Remove stopper.
Now just wait for the fish to come get it.
Here comes a loach over on the left. Image
He's almost there.

He's in.
Now pull the handle slightly, which will rotate the hole upwards.
It's good to have the stopper ready and in place before you pull the handle though, which I didn't do here.
Set the Stopper in the Trap and secure handle. You don't want to put the stopper on too tight or it will be difficult to get off.
Lift.
Let the water drain out of the top part of the trap, that's why the drainage holes were needed.
Remove from tank.
Secure the trap. Hold it at the bottom. Never know if that airline tubing will come unglued.
Move the trap to the tank where you want to move the loach. I'm just putting him back in this tank.
Take off the stopper.
Slowly lower trap to bottom.
You may need to give it a nudge with the stopper or something so that the opening flattens out.
Let loach swim free.

A lot of loaches can fit in this trap if you let it sit in the tank long enough. If there are a lot of loaches in the trap, and you want to get them out quickly, you can wiggle them out of the trap near the surface. Just be careful that you don't let all the water out. I've caught clown loaches ranging from 3" to 8" with this trap. It works pretty good, especially when all the decor and caves are removed from the aquarium and the trap is the only "cave" in the tank.

If you have any questions, comments, or ideas for improving this trap, I'd love to hear them.
Last edited by chefkeith on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Powers

Re: The Loach Trap Project with lots of pictures

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Cool!!

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 am

Very nice and great idea. Looks like it does not hurt the loach in any way.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 pm

That looks a heck of a lot better than trying to net the poor creatures, which often ends up in destroyed (or removed) aquascaping and injured fish.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm

It would probably also work for hillstreams which are almost impossible to catch.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm

I love this idea! Hopefully I won't need to catch my loaches soon but now I know what to try. Good job Keith!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 am

Great stuff, mininal stress too. I am going to have to look into making this.

LeStat

Post by LeStat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Great stuff, I'm going to have to pinch that design if I ever need to move my Clowns.
250 Gallon, 8 Modesta, 2 Plec, 2 Catfish & a shoal of 17 Clown loach.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Absolutely brilliant! Very well thought out.

GrizzlysDad

Post by GrizzlysDad » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 am

Nice job Keith!!! It might even work to some extent on other types of fish. Do you mind if I share this project on other forums?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm

GrizzlysDad wrote:Nice job Keith!!! It might even work to some extent on other types of fish. Do you mind if I share this project on other forums?
Yeah, it should work for many types of fish. You certainly can share this project. If anyone out there has some ideas on how to improve the trap, let me know, and forward the link! I'd be interested to see how well this trap works for other fish too.

joeybab3

Post by joeybab3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 am

ill need to make one of these for mine, changing tanks is to stressful for them. :(
______________________________________________________________________________________
60 gallon All loach tank
20g salt
10g goldfish
http://loachcam.joeybabcock.me

Brendon77

Post by Brendon77 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 am

hi chefkeith!
Good job, thanks for sharing own models and pics. I appreciate you.

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Awesome idea - thanks for posting!