Where do you find your loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Skinny Chef

Where do you find your loaches?

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:53 am

i've been having trouble locating Hillstream loaches that are not sewellia lineolata, or the "Borneo sucker/hillstream loach/butterfly loach". i have been hoping for Pseudogastromyzon cheni, Pseudogastromyzon myersi, or Gastromyzon punctulatus.

i've been to wetspot, mzjinkzd, rarefish.com, live aquaria, aquabid(every day for two weeks) i can't seem to find anything beyond the normal hillstreams. i've searched ever word combo i can think of to find a good site, but nothing....any help would be greatly appreciated.

shuwae

Re: Where do you find your loaches?

Post by shuwae » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I think the pseudogastromyzon is seasonal. I only see it on importer lists once or twice a year during the spring season. Not sure about the gastromyzon punctulatus but the "borneo" loach always comes in mixed with different gastromyzons, though the majority is ctenocephalus. Best to ask the company/person who is selling the "Borneo" loach to see if they can find the different pattern ones if you do not have any LFS that you can check out. I have never seen gastromyzons labeled correctly unless from a private seller who is letting go of their collection of fish.

Franksaquarium is also a great place to get gastromyzons. If asked, he will try his best to get you the different pattern ones as he gets them in mixed as "Borneo"/river loach.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:27 am

thanks for the response. i guess theres not some one who specializes in loachs?

Fishwife

Post by Fishwife » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:05 am

If you email the owner of the wet spot ( contact info on the site) he can get way more than just the ones he has in stock. Wet spot is my local LFS and they have gotten me fish I couldn't find anyplace. Also the level of care they provide to there stock is unheard of at most places.
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 am

Fishwife wrote:If you email the owner of the wet spot ( contact info on the site) he can get way more than just the ones he has in stock. Wet spot is my local LFS and they have gotten me fish I couldn't find anyplace. Also the level of care they provide to there stock is unheard of at most places.

i was emailing with them, but they stopped responding when i asked for a description of the Gastromyzon sp. they have in stock :-/

Fishwife

Post by Fishwife » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Weird. I can take a pic next time I go in :) I would say that something is going on with him cus in my experience that just isn't like him.
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 pm

The Skinny Chef wrote:
Fishwife wrote:If you email the owner of the wet spot ( contact info on the site) he can get way more than just the ones he has in stock. Wet spot is my local LFS and they have gotten me fish I couldn't find anyplace. Also the level of care they provide to there stock is unheard of at most places.

i was emailing with them, but they stopped responding when i asked for a description of the Gastromyzon sp. they have in stock :-/
Same here too. I know it also happened to another person.

Are those the only ones you are looking for? I might ask my local importer to get me a batch of gastromyzons but I do not know what will come in. Most likely ocellatus, scitulus, and ctenocephalus but might be a few unknowns.