Could my clown loach be pregnant?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clownsmith

Could my clown loach be pregnant?

Post by clownsmith » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am

Hi after noticing one of my clown loaches has become more swollen around the belly area and a faint grey area appear in the belly of the fish im starting to wonder if my fish is carrying eggs? as ive been doing a lot of research into this with a lot of people saying they don't reproduce in captivity and don't sexually mature until bout 7" im struggling to understand the cycle of my clown loach as it will be swollen for a few days and then not as big, my clown loach is about 5 inch but here is the question I have another clown loach which is about 7-8 inch could this fish be causing my 5" fish to be producing eggs?

Fishwife

Re: Could my clown loach be pregnant?

Post by Fishwife » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm

What are your parameters? How is she acting? Hiding? Shy? Sluggish?is she eating?
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.

joeybab3

Post by joeybab3 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:06 pm

could you post some more info such as pics and what clownsmith said?
______________________________________________________________________________________
60 gallon All loach tank
20g salt
10g goldfish
http://loachcam.joeybabcock.me

Ardillakilla

Post by Ardillakilla » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:30 am

I have a few clowns with big bellies. It's been an ongoing issue. It used to be just one but now it's several. I think it's worms. I've treated with praziquantel and then levamisole to no effect. I'm going to try levamisole again when the pH is <7.

djoneser

Post by djoneser » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Female clown loaches tend to expand on the lower half of their bodies as the grow larger. Without some pictures of what you consider a "big belly", it is very hard to help.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:13 pm

My two females are pretty fat, I assume with eggs. The four males are slim and considerably smaller. All fish are approaching 20 years old. There is often vigorous spawning behaviour with males chasing females determinedly but I have seen no eggs laid yet.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Ardillakilla wrote:I have a few clowns with big bellies. It's been an ongoing issue. It used to be just one but now it's several. I think it's worms. I've treated with praziquantel and then levamisole to no effect. I'm going to try levamisole again when the pH is <7.
If you think it's internal parasites, I found a very interesting thread recently how to treat very safely with Epsom salts(magnesium sulfate). Have a look at this link below. I think it's worth a try.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... epsom+salt