Clown Loaches in a 65gal

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sonic

Clown Loaches in a 65gal

Post by Sonic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi,

About to build a tank for a school of junior clown loaches. Better grow from child to old in our tank than at a aquariumfish factory.

Will use this thread as my personal build log. Hope its ok to keep such logs here.

Tank Data So Far

Rio Juwel 240 purchased 2nd hand.
Am-Top 3337 External Filter
Slim 3D Background (3.5 " out at max and 1,9" on average)
Coarse Filter Foam in dices behind 3d Backgroud
Boyu Wavemake WM-101 2500 Liter pr Hour

You can Find the On going Build Progress on Instagram

http://instagram.com/clownsofmoss
Last edited by Sonic on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chefkeith

Re: Clown Loaches in a 65gal

Post by chefkeith » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:06 pm

What are you building the tank out of? FRP, Plywood, Acrylic, Glass?

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Have added 7 clowns to the tank 3 days ago. All are still hiding most of the time in caves.
Hope they will become more social in a while. Im not sure if its due to new environmet or the lack of a dither fish that does it. But i do remember clowns as a very shy in the beginning ?

I dont want to stress my bio filtering too much even though i kinda have gone nuts on filtering..

I ended up with 4.8 gallons of filter media. The tank has been running for 15 days. I moved a well established Eheim pro 2222 to the tank dipping the trays in the water. The eheim 2222 will stay permanent in the tank in addition to am top 3337 and a 3d background filled with blue mats.

Using jbl drop tests
no2 is at 0,01 mg/l (down from 0,025 3 days ago)
no3 is at 5 mg/l
ph 6,9
KH 4

Am i rushing too much considering the large bio volume in addition to the well run in eheim 2222?

ive had fish in the tank from day 1 since i had to empty another tank. ( 5 small ancistrus and 2 acara dorsigiera, 3 guppies)
i am feeding alot of blood worms, squash, cucumber, some discus granulate and some flake food.. all on rotation.

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 pm

adding dither fish seem to solve the the problem. added 15 tiger barbs (replaced the 3 guppies)

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:42 am

Small update:

My 7 loaches are thriving in the tank and are all over the place not hiding much at all. two of them are even comfy beeing hand fed. Adding dither fish really changed their behaviour.

I have picked a new tank for them to live in. This tank will be the centerpiece of my livingroom making me invest in a nice looking tank. Eheim Scubaline 460.

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/aq ... lnut/white

Ive managed to save up 50% of the budget for this new setup.