30 gallon stocking suggestions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

30 gallon stocking suggestions

Post by 021414 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading the two tanks that I currently have to a single 30 gallon tank. I have to put the background panel in and allow the aquarium sealant to dry so I have some time. I am trying to decide how to stock the tank. I've been using http://aqadvisor.com to make sure I have adequate filtration per their guidelines.

What I currently have that will be going into the 30 gallon tank
5x Java loaches (Pangio oblongas)
1x Kuhli loach (Pangio kuhlii) + 4x more that I am hoping to get
1x Bristlenose pleco (Ancistrus sp.)

Optional tank mates
10x Harlequin rasboras
5x Emerald green corydoras
5x Dwarf loaches

Note: I will likely only pick one of the optional tank mate species to put in the tank, so as to not overstock the tank

I have an Eheim 2213 canister filter and will be buying Leslie's pool filter sand for the the top layer of substrate

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

redshark1

Re: 30 gallon stocking suggestions

Post by redshark1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:35 pm

I love all your options, but feel I would choose the Harlequin Rasboras for midwater colour and movement that would complement your existing stock.

Harlequins are one of my favourite fish and are truly excellent. Mine have done best in warmer water of 78F. They have the wow factor to complement the less colourful but satisfyingly interesting species.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm

If this is a long, breeder or even a standard shaped tank there is room for more bottom fish. Pick either/or, not both options.
Emerald Cories (Brochis splendens) get pretty big. How about one of the smaller Cory species? Plus a school of something.

However, if this is a tall tank, then skip the additional bottom fish and just go for a school.

Taller tanks are harder to filter, and do not have as good aeration as the longer, lower types of tanks, so under stock them.

A 30 gallon is about as small as I would want for a BN pleco.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Post by 021414 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks! I am leaning toward the harlequin rasboras but am also trying to look into some other schooling mid level fish. Any other suggestions (other than barbs)?
redshark1 wrote:I love all your options, but feel I would choose the Harlequin Rasboras for midwater colour and movement that would complement your existing stock.

Harlequins are one of my favourite fish and are truly excellent. Mine have done best in warmer water of 78F. They have the wow factor to complement the less colourful but satisfyingly interesting species.
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

Post by 021414 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:07 pm

It's a 30gallon tall. I am thinking of adding a power head to create more movement in the upper half. Are there any other species you would recommend for the school?
Diana wrote:If this is a long, breeder or even a standard shaped tank there is room for more bottom fish. Pick either/or, not both options.
Emerald Cories (Brochis splendens) get pretty big. How about one of the smaller Cory species? Plus a school of something.

However, if this is a tall tank, then skip the additional bottom fish and just go for a school.

Taller tanks are harder to filter, and do not have as good aeration as the longer, lower types of tanks, so under stock them.

A 30 gallon is about as small as I would want for a BN pleco.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

I have a large school of the Harlequins (30) and really like them, but I also have a large school of orange finned danio kyathits (40 or so). I love the kyathits since they are so active. They also breed easily and in my 300 gallon tank I gain about 1 per month that survives. You might consider these. I also have some brilliant rasboras which are nice, but tend to be a little less visible than the others.

Post by 021414 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks, how many would you recommend for a 30 gallon aquarium? Also, I am thinking about possibly doing black neon tetras or just neon tetras. Any opinion on those (i.e. how many, if they are ok in the tank I described, etc.)? Thanks again!

Keith Wolcott wrote:I have a large school of the Harlequins (30) and really like them, but I also have a large school of orange finned danio kyathits (40 or so). I love the kyathits since they are so active. They also breed easily and in my 300 gallon tank I gain about 1 per month that survives. You might consider these. I also have some brilliant rasboras which are nice, but tend to be a little less visible than the others.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 am

I have not stocked neon tetras in many years so I don't really have an opinion on those. But for any of these fairly small dither fish, I would recommend a stocking level of around 7-10 in a 30 gallon tank.

Post by 021414 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:30 pm

OK, so I went to a fish store and stared at the neon tetras for a good 10 minutes. I ended up deciding that they didn't appeal to me as much as I'd hoped. Could be that in the fish store they weren't really happy, but I think I decided against them for now. I am thinking of going with 10x Harlequin rasboras. I also realized that my tank is actually a 29 gallon high, not a 30 gallon. Do you think I should go with fewer Harlequin rasboras?

Thanks for all your help, btw.

Keith Wolcott wrote:I have not stocked neon tetras in many years so I don't really have an opinion on those. But for any of these fairly small dither fish, I would recommend a stocking level of around 7-10 in a 30 gallon tank.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm

I think you could put 10 Harlequins in your 29 gallon tall along with your other fish. They will look quite good and the stocking level should be fine. But of course, do a regular weekly water change to keep the nitrate levels under control.

Post by 021414 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks so much for all your help! I am currently working on installing my foam board background from designsbynature. I'm still having issues with the technical aspects of it and making sure the flow rates are OK. I don't even know that my design makes complete sense haha. We'll see. I may end up posting on the forum for some assistance with my design and such.
Keith Wolcott wrote:I think you could put 10 Harlequins in your 29 gallon tall along with your other fish. They will look quite good and the stocking level should be fine. But of course, do a regular weekly water change to keep the nitrate levels under control.

arny

Post by arny » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

In my opinion I think you're right to steer away from neons they are quite inbred now and so aren't the healthiest of fish. Just to give you other options have you look at any of the small danio species such as glowlight etc. They would enjoy the bit of extra flow you're planning on adding.