My kubotai dream coming true

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

AnneH

Re: My kubotai dream coming true

Post by AnneH » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Crossocheilus moved back to former tank, 10 kubs and 10 sids added to new tank. I'll hold my breath for the next few days. It's sooooo exciting :D

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:29 pm

:D That's great, Anne!

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 am

No it isn't :( I switched on the light today, just to discover that some of the kubs show clear signs of ich! Luckily I have different kinds of medicine, so I'll start the treatment right away.
It was really difficult to find out about their condition on the fair, because the seller had kept them in another room to prevent them from being stressed. And they were so tiny that it was hard to see anything really clearly, so I just took the chance. Well, time for medication and finger crossing.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry. If it's not too late, it's often best with loaches to add meds more slowly. A half dose the first morning, the rest that night, then regular dosing. Increase aeration too. What are you using? Some are removed by carbon (if you use it). The ich lifecycle is speeded up with higher heat but that also lowers oxygen in the water. Just make sure to keep up treatment for 10-14 days after all signs are gone. Watch for flashing against décor, ich can hide in the gills. It sounds like you know what to do, Good luck! Ich, caught early & treated long enough, is not too difficult but also watch for secondary bacterial issues.

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks for the advice, but it came a bit late ;) It seems, though, that the medicine hasn't harmed them. I used EshaExit because it seemed to be the most gentle product. It shouldn't damage the filter bacteria the way some of the other products sometimes do. If it doesn't work, I'll try Faunamor instead. I do not use carbon.

Remember how I was worried that the kubs might tend to harass the sids? Well, the kubs are behaving nicely, while one of the sids constantly try to pick on one of the kubs :shock: Actually, the sids are all over the place, some of them shoaling with the danios. Once the ich is gone I expect hours of fun watching my beautiful loaches :D

statichead

Post by statichead » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 pm

sweet setup!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 pm

How is the treatment going, Anne? My fingers are still crossed for you & your new loaches.

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:49 am

Thank you both :D
At last the white spots on the fins seem to disappear. Only one of the kubs still has a few left, so I'm going to prolong the treatment a bit just to be certain. And I'll take your advice, NancyD, and give them another treatment in a week's time.

They all eat well and seem to enjoy their new home. Tomorrow I'll switch on the light and place a comfy chair right in front of the tank and just watch :wink:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I looked up EshaExit but it doesn't tell what drug(s) are in it...it did say it kills the free swimming form of ich, so hopefully you good to go. Good luck again, AnneH & your new loaches.

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 am

EshaExit contains pr. 1 ml:
- methylthioniniumchlorid 3.98 mg
- ethacridinlactate 6.3 mg
- malachite green oxalate 0.31 mg
- methyl-rasoliniumchlorid 0.79

But unfortunately it's not enough :cry: . There are still signs of ich on the poor fish, so I'll go for a heat treatment. 31 degrees C for 10 days should do the job (oh, my poor plants).

Dwarf Loach

Post by Dwarf Loach » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:28 am

Hej Anne

Though I'm absolutely new here, I have followed your thread and your beautyfull tank for some time now, and I cross my fingers for you.

Is it correct, that today is the 6th day of treatment? What is the regular temperature of the tank? The cycle of the Ichthyo depend on the temperature....

I have to admit, I've no much experience treating with medicine. Only with heat, UV-C and only in Pleco Tanks. Till now.
With a Loach tank I would also have to seek advice.

A lot of ichthyo types don't respond anymore on usual medicine. Other types survives temperatures beyond 32°C... :shock:

You know this article ? Terribly long ... http://www.akvarieviden.dk/artikler/Alt_om_ichthyo-54

Wish you and your fish the best

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Well, actually the EshaExit treatment was recommended for only 3 days but with the possibility to prolong it if needed. I added it for 5 days before I made a 40% water change yesterday. It didn't really seem to work in the end.
Now, after 22 hours by 31 C all the kubs look a lot better and the sids have looked healthy all along. A few of the kubs are a bit pale, I'm not sure why, but they all eat well and behave in a rather loachy way (they are SO adorable). The white spots are almost gone, but of course I'll keep up the heat treatment for the recommended 10 days just to be certain.

Thank you for the article, I might find time for reading it one of these days :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Anne, you should read http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... 21#p152447. 3 days of any ich treatment is not long enough to kill the free swimming form, the only time it can be killed. The cysts fall off the fish into the substrate where, they hatch into free swimmers & reinfect fish. Heat will speed up the lifecycle but high enough to kill ich is quite high for loaches & there are newer more heat resistant strains of ich. Your pale sids maybe reacting to the temp or meds...or just a new tank. Did you add extra aeration?

AnneH

Post by AnneH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 am

Ok, now I read both articles, and I understand that alone raising the temperature is not enough. I also understand why that 3 days is too little (strangely this was recommended on the product?!), and I hope that the 5 days I treated them helped a bit. I'll find another product for treatment (maybe Faunamor? It worked the only other time I had white spots in a fish tank, a few years ago) when I come home, but I'll keep up the high temperature and hope that they all survive.

I didn't add extra aeration as the water already splashes into the tank creating lots of bubbles.

Dwarf Loach

Post by Dwarf Loach » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:06 am

If you want to switch to another product, you could try Sera Prozatol. This is highly recommend here, and doesn't harm scaleless fish. Furthermore it cures in cases, where ichthyo has got resistent .

However... in future my personal first choice would be microlift artemiss and herbatena. Doesn't harm bacteria or influence the tank.