Levamisole treatment

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

young

Levamisole treatment

Post by young » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:42 pm

I just bought two zebra loaches from my lfs and they both have 'skinny disease'. They are in a 38 gallon planted tank with two other healthy zebra loaches 4 and 4 amano shrimp. I just ordered some levamisole but am wondering how to go about the treatment. I noticed many sites with this information say to turn off the lights for an extended period of time, but couldn't this hurt the plants in my tank? I am also injecting pressurized co2, I do not know if that makes a difference. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

TrebleClef84

Re: Levamisole treatment

Post by TrebleClef84 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/l ... chloride-1

When the website goes back up, this will tell you everything you need to know about levamisole. It says to turn the light off and remove the active carbon from your filters. It also says to leave it in the tank for 24 hours before removing it. I doubt 24 hours without light will hurt anything. I'm afraid I don't know anything about CO2 and medicine, so no help there.

Since I'm following up with antibiotics, another worming, antibiotics, and a final worming for a treatment time of 28 days, I moved all my plants into another tank.

young

Post by young » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Hmmm maybe its time to go and get a cheap 10 gallon from petco to move the fish into. Is the levamisole treatment not affective without the antibiotic treatment as well?

TrebleClef84

Post by TrebleClef84 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm not really sure what is wrong with my fish; they're exhibiting a number of symptoms, with skinny disease just being one of them. I've heard that some fish suffer from secondary infections after they are wormed, so I decided to be thorough in their treatment.

I plan on doing a treatment of furan 2 and kanaplex after wormings 1 and 2, then resting for a week or two before the last worm treatment.
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25117 Diana posted some good info here, and that link I sent above was VERY thorough. I wish the site weren't down now.

TrebleClef84

Post by TrebleClef84 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm

P.S. I think there's information out there about dosing that's wrong. Some websites and packages say 5 grams/ 100 gallons. Using the calculations on loaches.com, I found I needed a little less than 1 gram per 90 gallons. People who overdosed that much complained that some or all of their fish died. Be careful.