Need help setting up a 225 gallon loach tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jennyberrya

Need help setting up a 225 gallon loach tank

Post by jennyberrya » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi.

I'm new to the LOF but have been reading it religiously since I got my 55 gallon tank with 4 CLs and other fish. I absolutely adore the CLs and have decided to upgrade to a 225 gallon tank (am getting an amazing deal) and add 6-11 more clown loaches of varying size. I have seen quite a few babies around the LFS and am considering a few of them.

My question is regarding my new tank set up. I am a novice when it comes to fish as I've had them less than a year with little to no knowledge beforehand. I've learned a lot along the way through reading everything in sight, making many mistakes and suffering with afew lost fish...but not my loaches. They have stuck around through the worst of it.

Since I am still new at this and you all seem to have quite a bit of knowledge I can use, my main question is: "What kind of filter(s) should I use for a 225 gallon tank (6' x2' x 2') that will house CL and a few other fish?" I would like to build a river-like environment since I know they will love it. I have researched a bunch of them but am considering using (2)Eheim Pro 3 2075, each works for 150 gallon tank. I'm also considering using (2) Eheim Classic 2217 Canister Filters for up to 160 gallon tanks. Of course, now I'm considering a sump filter as it may be a better option since I plan on keeping these fish for quite a while... at least that is my hope. But, please let me know what you think in terms of filtering the tank. I have been doing so much research that I am blind to it now.

Other questions:
Will two canisters be enough?
Will I need other accessories to accommodate the filters or sump?
If I use a sump filter, what size gallon tank would be best?

I will start with those questions and I'm sure I will have others.
I'm looking forward to you sharing your knowledge with me. I'm very excited to get my new tank and begin a great setup for my CLs.

Thank you.

redshark1

Re: Need help setting up a 225 gallon loach tank

Post by redshark1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Great to hear of your magnificent ambition and I wish you great success, which I think you will surely receive with your careful planning. I don't think you can go far wrong with Clown Loaches if you provide consistent care and don't overstock.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks redshark1. I'm very excited. My tank will be at my house in two weeks so I'm trying figure it all out beforehand to make sure things go as smoothly as possible, at least that is my hope. :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:05 am

The volume of 2 large canister filters is good for the filtration part of the requirements, but I have found Eheims underpowered, and not worthy of using on a tank of the size they claim.

For more water movement I would add at least 1 circulation pump like a Koralia 4. (I have one of these on my 125 gallon, and my CLs surf in the flow!).
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:10 am

Thank you Diana. Do you recommend a different kind of canister filter? I have not bought any as of yet and am still doing research. But I will definitely add a circulation pump. It sounds like the CLs will have a great time with that device.

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 am

The concept is the right one... two canisters, with intakes on one end and outtakes on the other, do create a river.
(I do this in the 125g clown tank and the fish seems to like it).

As for the canister model ... cannot help here. I use two Cascade 1500's (rated up to 200g each, so in principle it is 400g vs the actual 125g : 3.2x overfiltering and it does feel like a river!). Your Eheim plan is 160g * 2 / 225 is only 1.4x. But I'm not specifically recommending Cascades, the issue with them is the lower cost and lower lifespan, only about 5 years. But if this is acceptable, what about three canisters?

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks Mikev. I didn't think about three canisters...maybe I should get two more powerful ones to do the trick. I will look around some more and see what's out there without breaking the bank. Thanks.

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 pm

You need to do the calculations. If you decide to go with Cascades, figure out 5 years vs probably 10 years for Eheim. But with Cascades it is usually possible to buy just the motor part (this is what fails), and it is perhaps 40% of the price.

Now, Eheim Pro III models are surely powerful enough... but $350-$500 range vs $140 for Cascade 1500, this is the tradeoff. And you definitely want at least 2 filters because one may break and also having two allows to really clean them one by one.

Good luck figuring this out...

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks again mikev. I've been going over so calculations that I'm becoming a math wiz... just kidding. Are the Cascades easy to maintain? Have you had any trouble with them? Also, with your large aquarium, how do you do water changes? Do you have a barrel to dechlorinate the water? I've watched and read many different ways to change the water instead of using 5 gallon buckets. But I want to know if there is a safe and easy way to change the water. Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 am

My pleasure.

Cascade maintenance: very easy, possibly the easiest. If you do decide to go with them, kensfish.com tends to have good prices. Trouble -- as I said, they do not last as long as more expensive brands.

Water changes on my end: I use a 75g tank to prepare water, then run water through a hose into tanks that are being changed. Buckets for dirty water. :( Not the best system, but works, and it is too difficult to change it now.
I do not dechlorinate and do not use tap water, only remineralized R/O (not suggesting this, it is costly and more complicated, but healthier, so I'm willing to do this.)
If you only have a small number of tanks, buckets are not all that much work.....

Maarten B

Post by Maarten B » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 am

Think of energycost. I use 2 german JBL cristalprofi 1501 greenlines. Over here, they earn their money back in a year (40% less power required) , and are sold for a reasonable price. See if you can get anything like it, since pumps run all the time.

also, i suggest a 5 watt UV sterilizer, one for each pump. To keep the hoses clean, make cristalclear water, prevent bacterial blooms and stop diseases spreadding, even ich. Of course, run the newtank for a few weeks before switching them on.

yes, if possible, ad a sump. More water, more biologic media, and more oxygen give more stable conditions, and the impact of cleaning a cannister is reduced.

edit:
Are there people who pay 350 to 500 dollars for a pump in a bucket with some sponges and bits of flowerpotstuff?!?!?!? :shock:

Im very curious. Photos please when you are setting up your new tank. Have fun!!! :D

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks Maarten B for your insight. I am wondering... do you use a sump filter and a canister filter or two at the same time? I will have a 55 gallon tank available once I move my fish over to the new tank to use as a sump tank. Will that be enough of a tank for a 225 gallon tank to create a sump filter? Or do I need bigger?

I don't have the tank yet, I'm getting it this coming weekend, March 28th, 2015. I honestly cannot wait. I now have the new canister filters in. I bought two Penn Plax Cascade 1500 filters. Thanks to mikev I did a little more research on them and thought they would be a great fit for me. So, thank you mikev. :D

Do you think it's a good idea to mix the new media with the old media in the filter of the old tank to start a cycle since I don't have my new tank yet? My HOB filters can accommodate at least some of the filter media from the new canister filters.

I will definitely post pictures/videos once the new tank gets going and I don't lose any of my CLs along the way.

Thank you for any and all help and direction. I truly love these CLs and I only want what's best for them. Your guidance and advice is appreciated.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:47 am

I hope the filters work for you.... not sure it is enough for your tank, it is larger than mine.

As for cycling: I'd simply move the HOB's over to the new tank. Two months later you can remove them (canister filters will be sufficiently infected by then.)

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 am

Yes, mikev. I'm thinking that too. Though it did state that each filter can handle up to 200 gallons. I will try them and see how well they work. If it's not enough, I will certainly add another. The woman who currently has the tank has two Rena canister filters and she says they work great. So, I'll just wait and see what the water tells me. I just wish I could start today. My poor fish are a bit overloaded in my current tank so I'm doing PWC about every other day and have been feeding less and less.

55 gallon tank:
19 mollies from .5 inch to 2 inch
1 swordtail
1 pleco
4 clown loach: 3-4.5 inches

I think a 225 gallon will do the trick. I'm also not planning on keeping the mollies as they breed too much and get more Clown Loaches.

But first thing first... set up the tank and transfer everyone over safely.

Thanks again.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:15 am

Welcome again.

Oh, two 1500s will filter the tank just fine, but the more current you have the better.

I don't think you are so overcrowded as to worry too much now... and yes, I'd not move the mollies, only the clowns and the pleco. More suitable dithers would be large danios or rainbows, but one can avoid dither by adding lots more clowns.

Good luck -- show how this looks like once you get the tank working.