some questions about my Dojos, some pics for your trouble!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

italisighs

some questions about my Dojos, some pics for your trouble!

Post by italisighs » Thu May 05, 2016 4:59 pm

First thing first, an album of pictures because they're adorable: http://imgur.com/a/wgBWj

I've got two Golden Dojo Loaches, Fettuccine who I've had 8 months and Sketti (like spaghetti) who I've had for 3 months. I'm not sure how old they are, or their genders, I've kinda just assigned them ones according to their personality (and if you can tell their real genders from the pictures, I'd love to know!). The two of them get along great and love to eat from my hand (and give it kisses!), hide in their decorations, dart around, and dig up plants.

Now, there's lots of conflicting information about minimum tank size. I was told by the petco sales guy (I know, I know, not the most trustworthy source) that 10 gallons would be plenty. So I got a 10 gallon 20x10x10inch (50x25x25cm) tank. They seem to have plenty of room now, but I know this would be an issue as they grow. Is this absolutely unacceptable? Do I need a larger tank?

Onto the issue of grouping. I know it's said that they should be kept in groups of AT LEAST 3. The reason I got my second dojo, Sketti, was because I was afraid being alone was detrimental to Fettuccine. But do I really need more? How hard is it on them to be in small groups?

I also live in a college dorm that has a limit of 10 gallons per person, so getting a larger tank would be... Possible, but against the rules. I feel like I've gotten myself into a pickle where I'm stuck between stressing my lil guys out or breaking rules.

Finally, if you check the last 4 images in the album I linked, there are some milky blotches on Fettuccine's tail. It doesn't look like Ich to me, but I'm no expert. I've noticed no change in behavior or appetite, still the same happy little noodle he's always been. Is this something to worry about?

Thank you all!!

jonstfrancis

Re: some questions about my Dojos, some pics for your troubl

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu May 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Beautiful fish, the problem is they do grow a lot bigger. Without that extra tank size they will pollute the water and they are messy fish to start with.
I couldn't see the "milky blotches" but they are prone to fungal infections so if the spots are woolly/fluffy above the skin then it is fungus and you need to do some water changes for them (50%) and make sure to suction off water and dirt from the bottom of the tank where they rest. Some medicine will be required if it doesn't clear up.
Someone else may give you the tank size they require as I don't know but I do know they need bigger as they grow. I had two and they each grew about 16 cm long in say 3 (?) years and had to be given away.

italisighs

Post by italisighs » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

This is the best photo of the blotches in question http://i.imgur.com/cmdmBHi.jpg

Doesnt appear to be something above the surface, just 4 little spots that have a slight change in coloring. I could just be overreacting!

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Pet store sales staff will say anything to make a sale.

10 gallon is OK as a quarantine tank, or when they are quite young, but these fish can grow to about a foot long, and they can make the water cloudy with their digging. I would not keep adults in anything smaller than 4' long, though it does not have to be very deep. They are bottom fish, so a large bottom surface with arches of driftwood, caves, and soft substrate so they can burrow through it would be a really good set up.

If you want a smaller, similar fish, better suited to a small tank, look into Kuhlie Loaches. While I would not put them in a 10, a slightly larger tank would work. A 20 gallon (2' long) is a good size for a group of Kuhlies, and room for more fish that swim higher up in the tank. Perhaps some Harlequin Rasboras.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

italisighs

Post by italisighs » Sat May 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi guys, another question.

Fettuccine has a weird dot in his.. nose? Do they have noses? It looks like he got a piece of sand stuck in his nose but I'm not even sure if they have noses to be honest. Is this okay? Does it hurt him? Can I get it out?

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:49 pm

Kuhli Loaches are tropical fish. They need a warmer tank. Dojos do well in cooler water. I have three in my coldwater (heaterless) tank. I have them in a 65-gallon. Ideally, dojos shouldn't be in water much warmer than 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

At least 3 is ideal, though 2 is certainly better than one lonely little loach by himself.

You will eventually have to get them a larger tank. They will grow, and they eat like horses.

Regular water changes and siphoning the substrate will suffice, for now.

Yep, they're cute!

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:53 pm

I forgot to mention, Dojos are notorious escape artists. Keep a tight lid on your tank and seal off any holes large enough for them to fit through. They can live outside of water for awhile, if they don't dry out. They store oxygen.

You may occasionally see one or both Dojos rush to the surface, gulp air and rush back down. This is normal behavior.

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:46 pm

I had 3 dojo loaches. They are about 10 years old except for the one that died last summer. I think two of them were mates. They always laid next to each other and hid together. The third was a friend but he slept separate from the other 2. As far as I know they never bred. I wish they had but if they did the eggs were eaten before I ever saw them.

I have them in a 40 gallon tank. It is the same size length and width size but twice as tall. It is true that they are bottom dwellers. They do enjoy swimming around the tank and go up to breath air on occasion. They have a great time when the weather changes. You will have to watch them to see them fart. My kids thought it was hilarious.

I've never had the problem that you described so I can't be of much help there. I like the bigger tank they are about 10" long. I have kept them with black moor and red capped orandas. The goldies died and I haven't replaced them. I put some feeder guppies in the tank and they eat the babies. The guppies are doing ok since the room isn't air conditioned and the tank is at room temperature.

Good luck with your fish.