New "baby clown loach"

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Allyson

New "baby clown loach"

Post by Allyson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:28 am

Hello, please can you advise me on whether to restock my clowns? I have 2 larger clowns left from the "swarm" that I had for a few years. I feel I would like to get some more new ones-would that be ok or would the "old" ones pester and upset the "new ones" as they will be smaller.
Thanks, Allyson.x :) :?:

Loachloach

Re: New "baby clown loach"

Post by Loachloach » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Hey Allyson. From my experience clown loaches, regardless of size, eventually all get on very well together. It may take a couple of weeks for them to get used to each other. The larger clowns will be more competitive for food so you might have to devise a strategy to feed the small ones. Normally young clowns are out and about all the time unlike older ones so you should get more opportunities to feed the baby clowns. The older clowns will not pester and upset the baby clowns, on the contrary, the more clowns, the more confident each one of them is.

Allyson

Post by Allyson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:00 pm

I now have 5 clown loaches swimming around my tank. The new babies seem to have settled in very well and they all swim together as a group(swarm as hubby calls them) I put cucumber on a wooden "stick" and the babies eat from that whilst the "parents" eat the rings on cucumber on the floor (weighted down). When I put a small amount of frozen bloodworms in the tank the "parents" seemed to "hold back" the other fish so the babies could have a feed. Amazing to watch them together-so pleased I decided to get some more.xx. :)

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Allyson, I'm glad you are enjoying your Clown Loaches as I and many others on this site do.

I hope we can help you make sure that your Clown Loaches live a lot longer this time around.

Mine are 22 years old. I'm not boasting as I didn't do anything especially skillful or expensive to achieve this, but if you want to learn how it may be possible to do the same you are on the right forum.

My top tip would be summarised like this:
Learn how to create great water quality and to provide this constantly by developing a routine you never neglect.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 am

redshark1 wrote: My top tip would be summarised like this:
Learn how to create great water quality and to provide this constantly by developing a routine you never neglect.
Top notch suggestion :)
Zenin