sterazin & loaches - Graeme? Emma? Martin?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sophie

sterazin & loaches - Graeme? Emma? Martin?

Post by sophie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 pm

This is probably a brit query, as I think we have very different meds to those in the US.

I've got a dwarf gourami in a tank with yoyos and pangios, which I think probably has gill flukes or possibly another kind of parasite. I bought Sterazin, as I've heard good things about Waterlife from both Martin & Emma. It's got a list of fish which don't tolerate it, loaches aren't included. I want to treat the tank rather than the fish, so am I ok to use the full dosage?

thanks for any help,
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi Sophie!

In the past we have used Sterazin in tanks that contained Botia without any problems, but do not have any experience in using it with Pangio sp.

Having said this, I would still advise caution when using this treatment with any kind of loach, your best bet probably being adding half the recommended dose every 12 hours (so in 24 hours you will have used one full dose in total).

I know Graeme keeps several Pangio species, so he might be able to advise further on this.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:47 am

Emma, thank you.
it sounds like good advice, and I'll go for a half dose this evening and another one tomorrow morning. The sterazin looked like the best thing available, so i hope I've made a good choice.

thanks again, :D
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:59 am

I would follow Emma's advice. Unfortunately, I've never used Sterazin at all i'm afraid. I've used Protozin with Pangio's present and i witnessed no problems. Half dosage at first is recommended like Emma suggested.

Graeme.

sophie

Post by sophie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:47 pm

Graeme, Emma, thanks for your help. I've just done the first half of the second dose (day three) - did the first dose in two halves, 12 hours apart - and both the yoyos and the pangios are fine. (I'm still not at all sure if I have five or four yoyos, but the ones I have seen are fine ;-))
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us