Suggestions for 20g long high-flow w/o powerheads

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Oceacloud

Suggestions for 20g long high-flow w/o powerheads

Post by Oceacloud » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

I'm planning a 20 gallon long, higher-flow tank for my 8 panda loaches. I want to avoid using powerheads, for a number of reasons. Would it be reasonable to put an Aquaclear 50 HOB on one end and extend the intake to the other side of the tank using some pvc piping to create a bit of unidirectional flow? -OR- if I got a canister filter, couldn't I just put the intake and output on opposite ends of the tank?

Bas Pels

Re: Suggestions for 20g long high-flow w/o powerheads

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

putting both ends of a pump in opposite sides will work nicely.

I got a tank which is working for 6 years now, with an 2500 l/hr internal filter, and the outflow is through a PVC pipe to the other side. It works like a dream.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 am

You can route the intake to the Aquaclear, or any other HOB via PVC.
I would put a Tee in the system and have inlets with 2 sponge filters at the far end of the tank. The problem with using any HOB this way is that the HOB has to sit at the end of the tank, so a standard lid cannot be used. There are ways to work around this.
The Aquaclear 50 is not too large for this. It will make a reasonable flow, but not hillstream conditions.

A canister sure can be set up that way. I have done this in a 20 long. If the spray bar can be set up at the end of the tank that is good, but if you need to use the point source outlet, that works, too. This set up can also allow the standard lid to fit on the tank.

Instead of an old style power head, have a look at the Hydor Koralia series. Hydor is not the only company making these sorts of circulation pumps.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

nhkg

Post by nhkg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:41 am

I would use canister filter with flow more than 1200 l/h and put the intake and output on opposite ends of the tank. Extremely high flow isn't necessary. These fish spend most most of the time in places with low flow.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 am

nhkg wrote:These fish spend most most of the time in places with low flow.
This is correct. They care less about flow and more about highly oxygenated, clean water. So an AC 50 on a 20L should be sufficient without modification.

Side note: if you want them to spawn, use a mix of gravel and sand as the substrate, condition them with high protein foods, then do a large (80-90%) cool water change.

Good luck!
Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.