Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15 am

Same hear but first things first. I want discus, hillstreams, khulis, a giant gourami but i cant figure out where they will go. especially the gg.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

hx

Post by hx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks, guys, for the feedback.

A funny thing happened after pruning the Samolus: a fierceful blooming season:
ClownLoachSharky wrote: i cant figure out where they will go. especially the gg.
I want gg:s as well. Can't house them for now, though. They need what, 1000 liters/250 gals to be happy?
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

hx

Post by hx » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm too happy with the plant growth in the tank. Have to do something about it.
Even though the Valoya led fixture seems to do the trick, I'm a bit dissatisfied with the color. I'll try metal halides for a change.

I've got two of these 70W HQI shop fixtures laying around:

I cut off the bulb housings

And fixed them into a rack I made
Nothing too fancy.
I might have to get new bulbs to replace the 830s (3000K) later, but I'll see how the color is with these first.
Will rig it in in a couple of days.
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 pm

wow thats cool.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

hx

Post by hx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Some boring video footage of the tank.
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

cider

Post by cider » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 am

hi, sorry i have not ventured on the site in so long, after loosing my clowns , it became more and more difficult.. it was pretty tough to watch them pass ( bad meds-my fault) and lost the heart to replace them. I actually don't/can't fit a tank large enough for 5 adults anyway,so it seemed a moot point. Sorry I never explained. Took me this long to speak of it. Felt I owed you guys the explanation why i disappeared.

OK, so I couldn't stay away forever , and when i checked out your video of your skippers, I was blown away ! They are just too cool , and the habitat you have created for them is awesome . I hope they know how lucky they are :wink: ,oh and the video was not ''boring" , I am sure many who saw it were as mesmerized as I . I think you are my biggest fan ,with all the work you have put into this and your choice of ''wet pets'' ! Your thread is a wonder to follow .

I was wondering if they are same sex or a pair, and if so , do they mate in captivity. Would be a dream to see that .

I still keep fish, I still have the 54g corner/trigon , which i have for 2 plecs, some diamond tetras and some harlequin raspbora, also dwarf rainbows and a farlowella. The 30 is for 2 smaller plecs, medusas, on order , and a school of celebes. I guess i got bit with the plec bug and with the room I have that will be it . I still love clowns ,their personalities are a blast to watch , and I bow my head to all of you guys who have also gone through a disaster, yet continue to forge ahead and give them great homes . G
cider

hx

Post by hx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:12 am

cider wrote:hi, sorry i have not ventured on the site in so long, after loosing my clowns , it became more and more difficult.. it was pretty tough to watch them pass ( bad meds-my fault) and lost the heart to replace them. I actually don't/can't fit a tank large enough for 5 adults anyway,so it seemed a moot point. Sorry I never explained. Took me this long to speak of it. Felt I owed you guys the explanation why i disappeared.

OK, so I couldn't stay away forever , and when i checked out your video of your skippers, I was blown away ! They are just too cool , and the habitat you have created for them is awesome . I hope they know how lucky they are :wink: ,oh and the video was not ''boring" , I am sure many who saw it were as mesmerized as I . I think you are my biggest fan ,with all the work you have put into this and your choice of ''wet pets'' ! Your thread is a wonder to follow .

I was wondering if they are same sex or a pair, and if so , do they mate in captivity. Would be a dream to see that .

I still keep fish, I still have the 54g corner/trigon , which i have for 2 plecs, some diamond tetras and some harlequin raspbora, also dwarf rainbows and a farlowella. The 30 is for 2 smaller plecs, medusas, on order , and a school of celebes. I guess i got bit with the plec bug and with the room I have that will be it . I still love clowns ,their personalities are a blast to watch , and I bow my head to all of you guys who have also gone through a disaster, yet continue to forge ahead and give them great homes . G

Hi, G, and welcome back!
Sorry to hear about your adversities in fishkeeping. Medicating fish is always tricky, more so all the time, as there's stronger chemicals being used on pretty much all levels of the trade.
Happy to hear that you have found a new approach to the hobby and are enjoying it again!

Thanks for your kind words on the vid and the tank.
There's four Periophthalmodon septemradiatus mudskippers in the tank. They seem to be referred to as "Vietnamese mudskippers".
Three of them are males and one is female. The dominant male was clearly digging up sand from one of the pools and building a "nest"-sort of a thing with the help of Samolus leaves on top of the pit. But the female didn't seem interested in his forthcomings.

It is possible, that they won't breed unless there's a possibility to dig a tunnel in mud, as they do in the nature.
On the other hand, there's reports of mudskippers producing fry in tanks without mud, so perhaps there's hope?
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

cider

Post by cider » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 am

hi hx , thanks and hope you get some fry . I know you will show us if that happens . Again, wonderful thread. :D

G
cider

hx

Post by hx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:03 am

I had to tare down and thoroughly clean this ol' tank after a serious mealybug infestation.
Trashed all vegetation. Bummer.

Happy to say it's getting back to action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eedpYQbCjIw
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

Greek

Post by Greek » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:02 pm

I see You are a perfect nature-imitator. That's a pure talent! Keep on doing that, it is amazing ;)

hx

Post by hx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 am

For the first I got this on video.
Looks like mating behaviour to my eye.

There's an inbuilt water cave in the scape, into which the female follows the male in the end of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5r6i25rwHc
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 am

Oh, very interesting, hx. I'm sorry I haven't been over to this non-loach forum in a long time. I love your mudskippers & habitat!