Starting a tank for Weather loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FishyLady

Starting a tank for Weather loaches

Post by FishyLady » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:22 am

Hello everybody, I used to be a member of this forum a lifetime ago!!

Am thinking of keeping Weather loaches , particularly like the gold ones,(are they the same as sewellias?) intended tank is 4ft long 14 inches deep x 14 inches high,
Filtration would be a large external eheim filter. I have watched endless Youtube videos but still confused. What substrate would be the best?
I don't really want to use sand unless really necessary. ,I'll add a pic of something that I thought might be suitable with the addition of some large pebbles and maybe some slate. How many could I keep? I was thinking 3 but 4 would be better if not overcrowded, or 3 loaches and some smaller tankmates suggestions would be brilliant, Cant remember how many gallons the tank holds but probably about 40 gallons,

How much water current would I need, this varies enormously in stuff I have read, strong current may be too much for tankmates?
I know they like bloodworm and other frozen foods not sure on pellets, which ones? How often should I feed them. Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Possible substrate: https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/active-sub ... 70755.html

Thanks in advance.

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

Diana

Re: Starting a tank for Weather loaches

Post by Diana » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 am

Weather Loaches are not the same as Sewellias.

Here are links to the most common Weather Loaches:
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/w ... licaudatus
Here is a link to another Weather Loach: Especially, read the note at the bottom about a permit needed to keep 'Weather Loaches'
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/m ... -mizolepis
Here is the Loach in that note, the European Weather Loach:
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/m ... s-fossilis

In each of these descriptions there are ideas about tank set up for these very interesting fish.

I have not used the substrate in your post. It looks like a substrate for planted tanks. Are you going to have plants in the tank with the Weather Loaches? They burrow a lot, and are large enough to dig up plants. Make special planting areas to keep the plants safe, or grow plants like Anubias and Java Fern, which are grown glued to driftwood or rocks.
I do not know if this material will disintegrate; if so it will cause a lot of clouding when the Loaches burrow through it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sewellias are one species of a group called Hillstream Loaches.
Here is a link to one of them, you can follow that link to more Sewllias.
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/s ... -lineolata
Here is a link to some basics about how and why a special set up should be created for these very interesting fish:
https://www.loaches.com/articles/hillst ... -fast-lane
In this last link is a list of genera that are included in the family of Balitoridae, the Hillstream Loaches.
That same set up concept (in and out at opposite ends of the tank) can be set up using a canister filter, or the powerhead style shown in the link. This is a good way to create the flow for any fish from fast streams.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for your reply Diana I have "spoken" to you many times before when I was on here. Not sure if the pictured substrate would disintegrate I liked it because it's nice and round. What substrate would you recommend? and how many loaches could I keep in my aquarium, any tankmates who also like fast water.? Where on earth do I obtain a permit? surely this is only if you may release them into the waterways?

Food suggestions?

Thanks again

Val

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Please help!!!!!!! After sorting through power heads and planning a tank that's 'in the fast lane' I'm watching this film and he says they like minimum movement. :roll: I hate it when info is contradictory when you're trying to learn, so again I'm relying on you guys to sort me out.
It's about halfway into the film,
Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5FAdEj5ys

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Weather loaches don't need fast current.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 am

Thank you for your reply Nancy but still not sure about water current. Perhaps they don't mind either way. :?

https://www.loaches.com/articles/hillst ... -fast-lane

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Weather Loaches do not mind either way. Since they dig, and this might cloud the water I would make sure there is average or better circulation, do not skimp. A good sized filter with plenty of room for sponges and floss can help.

If you are not doing a planted tank, then I would mimic their stream habitat with mixed rounded rocks and sand. A bit of good sized driftwood can add a lot of interest. A sand that is not too fine will settle out pretty fast if they stir it up. You want to look for a rounded grain, not angular. Be careful not to get a limestone sand, this would raise the GH, KH and pH too high.

48" x 14" x 14" is 40 American gallons, a bit over 33 Imperial Gallons. Depending on how many other fish you want, a little group of about 5 would work with not too many other fish.
Reasonable tank mates are actually going to be selected for temperature preference, generally a bit cooler than most tropical fish. I like Rosy Barbs. 6-8 of these would be about it, with 5 weather loaches. Smaller fish could include Zebra Danios or White Cloud Minnows.
While Weather Loaches are not picky about food, they are not predatory toward most tank mates. I would not trust them with shrimp, though. I would feed them a sinking pellet that is aimed at carnivorous or mixed feeding fish, not algae eaters. Frozen foods could include pretty much all the worms and anything else you can find.

I have no idea who you talk to in the UK about a permit to keep Weather Loaches. Perhaps ask at the stores that may sell them?

Alternative: There are other fish, related, and similar looking, but a bit smaller. Might be OK to keep in the UK, and will work well in that tank size, too. Have a look at Cobitis (there are several) and related fish.
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/p ... ter-bodied

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Thu May 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Diana, thank you so much for all that info , I rang the shop where I could get them, he only had the grey ones ,no gold which I like, don't know if the different colours have different temperaments? but he said that weather loaches can be a bit " nasty" at times the ones I have watched on Youtube (gold ones) seem very friendly. He also recommended Rosy Barbs as tank mates or Odessa Barb (looked those up) and the Odessa is rather stunning. I asked him about needing a permit and he was absolutely sure I do not need one. I am using a large external filter which has floss in it, and was considering powerheads or wavemakers.

Val

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm

INE they are not 'nasty'. They get along fine with each other, and other species as long as the tank is large enough. 4' long is a reasonable size. No smaller, though.
I have not kept the pink ones, but usually the color does not make a difference in the personality.
Odessa Barbs are indeed another good option.

Happy fish keeping!