Ich?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachnoob

Re: Ich?

Post by loachnoob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 pm

dosing again tonight, the struggle continues....

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Tue May 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but did you ever raise the heat up to 86?

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 pm

SteveG wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:57 pm
Forgive me if I overlooked it, but did you ever raise the heat up to 86?
No worries! I realize this has become somewhat a personal diary dealing with ich! My goal in the end, someone can use it, and i end up with some happy loaches :D

I rode the 86 line for several days, technically 85.9

To summarize, the fish hated it and several cherry barbs exibited the worst ich symptoms during it. I euthanized them as a means to an end, they were only going to shed more lineage. I lost one yoyo during the process, but he was probably past of no return going into it. After dropping the temperatures back to 82, my fish have been doing much better but were not out of the woods - but i think i can see the end! Was pushing the temp that high instrumental to getting to this point, i dont know.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed May 02, 2018 2:24 am

Raising the tempt to 30 C - that´s close to 86 F - is a good opportunity in case the fish can easily withstand that temperature.

I keep Cherry barb, I think you mean Puntius titteya, aroiund 21 C, and no 30 C weould be too high. In case the treatment is nog good for the patient, it will not help. Still, I can imagine people trying this, especially in a case as severe as yours

Luckily, the worst seams te be over

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Got a good chance to just sit down and watch the tank tonight quietly while enjoying a cold beer. Fed the fish some flakes, algae wafers, and a thawed cube of blood worms. Simply enjoyable watching them!

Everyone comes out, a few of the kubotai (i've previously been calling them angelicus - same thing I guess) are even starting to plump up. I can tell the difference in all 3, the two that have previously been hiding the most are the fattest while the longest one I first photographed still looks a bit skinny. The two golden zebra loaches I have are starting to make me doubt they are what I was sold - I got them from PetCo, but i can see a color changing occurring in their black bars. My fattest yoyo, continues to be as such and dwarfs his friend I bought as the same time. I can see his yoyo patterns starting to break up near his tail and take on a more "reticulated" appearance.

Regardless they're all eating and playfully harassing their tank mates- the most action I've seen yet. The algae wafers interest them but they don't ever nibble on them. I think I'll just pitch the bag.

In the 30 or so minutes I watched, the same old big kubotai, who started this whole ordeal, "flashed" twice! Just when ya think you're nearing the end of the road... Maybe he's just scratching dead skin, after all he is the one who caused me to carry on about a week ago with the Paragaurd treatments.

I'm considering halfing the dose, but doing it twice a day per Diana's instructions. I'll probably start this tomorrow night.

Tomorrow is water change day. I'll do a half dose of Paragaurd, then follow up with another half dose in the morning.

I promise to post pictures soon, especially of the gold zebras to see if you all think that's what they are. The biggest thing that's kept me from posting more pictures - and I'm embarrassed to admit this - is the color of our gravel. As you may remember me stating early on, this tank started as a pet for my 4 year old son. A simple fan tail goldfish tank. My wife agreed to maintain the tank, so long as he got to pick all the ornaments, gravel, ect. After all this was to be to his specs. Well wouldn't you know, being a 4 year old, faced with picking the gravel he picked the ugliest confetti style available despite me trying to get him to get the "natural" stuff. There I finally said it! Needless to say, after falling back into my love of tank keeping I've been doing all the maintenance, while simultaneously adding my own flavor to things. He helps as much as a 4 year old can but she hasn't as much changed the water once yet :lol:

I'm nearing the 30 day mark, hard to believe!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat May 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Darn it! Dosed half last night and intended to dose this morning - i forgot too. Probably not the end of the world.

I made the decision today that I'm going to set up a loaches only tank, 125gal, after this ordeal is over.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Mon May 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Update, been doing the 50% dose twice a day now. Pretty sure we're out the woods. Haven't seen anyone flashing. This 55 tank will continue to serve as quarantine tank as I'm picking up a new 125 on the 9th. I see no reason not to continue with dosing the tank at this point. I don't want issues in the new setup, and that tank won't be ready until at least the 16th at the earliest.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue May 08, 2018 2:39 am

Although ich is a disease which will hit the fish when they are weakend, for instance new fish are vulnerable, I've never seen ich hitting after moving fishes.

Therefore you can move the fishes to the bigger tank, and use this one as a quarantaine tank for now. Later on, I would assume the large tank is populated, so you can do without the quarantaine and repopulate this one

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Bas,

Thanks for the reply! That's my plan. Any new fish I bring into the 125 will spend a few weeks in the 55 for observation and treatment if necessary. Until the 125 is cycles for a few weeks, no fish are going in it :)

I intend on stopping treatment soon, still have some Paragaurd left thought and as I've said before I see no reason to stop treating. No flashing, nothing, but I did add 3 new kubotais for stock for my new tank that I get tomorrow so I want to make sure they're good.

I've also been periodically feeding the medicated feed I made a fews ago

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Haven't treated the tank since May 12th. All is well! I learned a lot from all of you in this thread a big thank you to you all!

joietan

Post by joietan » Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 am

Wow 30 days?

My loach only tank has started to get ich, it has been 3 days. Water temp is at 32 celcius. Its very hot in Indonesia.
I have Paraguard, bu hesitate to dose it. My aquarium is 20 gallon. should i just put 5ml every day?
Will paraguard accumulate to lethal dose ?

Thank you,
Joie

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 pm

joietan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:57 am
Wow 30 days?

My loach only tank has started to get ich, it has been 3 days. Water temp is at 32 celcius. Its very hot in Indonesia.
I have Paraguard, bu hesitate to dose it. My aquarium is 20 gallon. should i just put 5ml every day?
Will paraguard accumulate to lethal dose ?

Thank you,
Joie
30 days + I fought it. Seachem Paragaurd does not accumulate, if anything it diminishes out of the gate. None of my fish had an issue with dosing at the recommended rates.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Dang it saw fish flashing again today. Now that I have a master test kit i'm going to look at the water quality parameters and see if there is something else going on that I've been missing :(

joietan

Post by joietan » Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am

I have since put on a heater to my 20 gallon, its almost 32.5-33 degree celcius and i notice few ich left on day 8. I have not used any medication or salt. I do water changes 50% every 3 days.

It's warm water but my clown loaches and otocinclus seems okey.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 pm

joietan wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am
I have since put on a heater to my 20 gallon, its almost 32.5-33 degree celcius and i notice few ich left on day 8. I have not used any medication or salt. I do water changes 50% every 3 days.

It's warm water but my clown loaches and otocinclus seems okey.
Personally, and taking into account I'm "loachnoob" I would be compelled to treat with Paragaurd in your tank. My 55 is free and clear of it the best I can tell.

I'm in the end process of finalizing a 125 as their final home. I think some of the "flashing" I was seeing was from poor water quality in my 55 - simply put - to many fish. Given that I've been testing the 125 alot with the API master test kit, I've also been monitoring the 55, and it was 0/0/20ish. I've really backed off on feeding them while staying on top of watcher changes and I haven't seen a loach "flash" since I last posted about it.