Are These Queen Loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tulwinn

Are These Queen Loaches?

Post by Tulwinn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Starting out first larger tank, we were recommended Queen loaches. We liked the look of them and we enjoy the fact they have a lot ff personality. Only problem we have had is that one is larger, and and is constantly chasing (and we think nipping) the others around. This loach has earned a not very pleasant nickname.

After looking at then for a while we noticed the patterns on their backs are different, and started to wonder if they are the same species of loach. maybe that would explain the behaviour?

Thanks for any help or advice.

This is the larger one

These are the smaller ones

NancyD

Re: Are These Queen Loaches?

Post by NancyD » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:02 pm

yes, you have 2 different species, B. dario is the big 1, the others are b. kubotai. The chasing can be part of normal behavior, bigger fish are often dominant. Neither species is known for nippiness but 1 species kept alone might be more apt to do it.

How big is your tank? I try not to keep less than 5 or 6 of each social species, but even 3 of each would be better if you have room :)

Tulwinn

Post by Tulwinn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 am

Hi, thanks for the information!

The tank is 125 litres, a Fluval Roma. Ideally we would rather keep them both but Im not sure the tank is big
enough. :(

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 am

125 liters is pretty small for a fish that gets 5-6" long (13-15cm).
Maybe keep the B. kubotai, but I would not have tried them in that size tank. A smaller Loach such as B. striata would be a better choice. They are a bit smaller, so half a dozen would work.
Ambastaia sidthimunki would be a very active and interesting Loach in this size tank. Significantly smaller, so you could get enough of them to show you their social interactions.

Are there other fish in the tank?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Tulwinn

Post by Tulwinn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

Is the tank too small for either of the loach species we have now?

It’s going to be something of a nightmare to get them out as they hide in one of the pieces of wood if the top of the tank is opened.

At the moment the only other fish in there are diamond tetras. We also have a bristlenose Pleco that we plan to move in.

Tulwinn

Post by Tulwinn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:36 pm

OK, current plan is to return the kubotai because it looks like they will grow too big for the tank.

If what I've researched is right, the Queen loach doesnt grow as big and would be ok. So we would replace the kubotai with queens. Does that seem like a good plan?

Tulwinn

Post by Tulwinn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:19 pm

The aquarium we got them from has said they are ladder loaches, which I think get even bigger than polka dot loaches. :shock:

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 pm

https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-dario

https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-kubotai

Here is one that uses the common name Ladder Loach.
https://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-rostrata

When a species of fish is highly active then a really rough guide to accommodate their activity level:
At least 10x the fish length should be available for the fish to move around. This means:
For every inch of fish length have a foot long of tank.
In metric: for 2.5cm of fish length have 30 cm of tank length.
The Loaches so far in this thread are a bit different in that they alternate bursts of high activity with some passive time in a cave or under a branch or something. I would still want at least a 4' (1.2m) tank for either B. kubotai or B. dario.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Yeah, I'm with Diana, pick 1 species! We know it's hard to do...that's why many of us have more than 1 or 2 tanks, ;). You want to see the best from your loaches...& that means at least 5 or 6 of a species. Your tank is not big enough to house 2 5 inch loach species of at least 5 of each.

What species is most available to you? That might be a starting point for your choice. Study the differences between dario & kubotai, they're not really so similar if you look hard...& you should be looking hard for species & for health! By the horizontal lines forming along their lateral lines I'm sticking to b. kubotai not rostrata, but still, 5 inch fish if kubotai; 5 or 6 inch if darios

I have a bit of metric vs English measurement dyslexia at times Is it covered?... what dimensions are your tank? Long is better for loaches...

Tulwinn

Post by Tulwinn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 am

That tank is 80 x 35 x 50cm, thats 31 inches long.

We have returned the loaches, we are thinking of getting Dwarf Chain loaches, pepper corys and our Bristlenose Pleco will go in also. Does anyone see a problem with those?

Thanks

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm

I think that is a good assortment for that size tank.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

We've kept sids several times & love them! A much better choice for your tank. Plus corys & a BN, the bottom of your tank is pretty full...Personally I'd go with a big bunch of sids & skip the corys, keep the BN...& think about rasboras or some other smallish mid-water swimmers.

& we're going to need more pics please!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 am

Corydoras and Botia is not a really good combination indeed.

As said, they all live on the bottom, but don't really understand each othjer. Further, it is better to have 1 big group than 2 smallish ones, whether Cory or Botia