Behaviour when new clown coach introduced

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jae

Behaviour when new clown coach introduced

Post by Jae » Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 pm

I have just introduced 3 new smaller clown loaches to my 15 year old clown loach. They won't leave him alone, it's almost like they are nibbling him and riding his back. Is this normal? Need help, never used a forum before but don't know what to do.

Diana

Re: Behaviour when new clown coach introduced

Post by Diana » Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Clown (and other) Loaches can be quite inquisitive. I think your new ones are simply checking out this 'giant' new friend. Is the older Loach showing any indication that he (or she) is upset by the actions of the newcomers?
Some Loaches are more territorial than others, or less patient with the pestering activities of other fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

millsn

Post by millsn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Given you've now addded some loaches you may also need to add some hiding places. Otherwise I find they can compete for hiding places and I'm not convinced that the competition is entirely healthy for them. Is there plenty of hiding other than where the larger loach likes to hide?

Jae

Post by Jae » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi
They seemed to have settled down now. I think the little ones were excited to see him, it's like they recognised one of there own sort. I put extra hiding places in so they have more places to hide yet they all squish into a tiny tube, it's cute and fun to watch.

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:08 pm

:D