Poorly golden weather loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

smh18

Poorly golden weather loach

Post by smh18 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

My lovely albino golden weather loach is not herself at all. A couple of weeks back she developed bubbles of skin which I'm sure were over the top of her eyes (rather than the eyes protruding). They seem to have gone down now and I'm not sure whether her eyes are still OK or not. Anyway the last week or so she's been hiding away behind the filter, often near the water's surface. She comes out when she smells food, has a couple of bits of food and goes back behind the filter. She's normally a very sociable creature and would come to the front of the tank and do acrobatics for me. I'm rather worried about her. What do you think is wrong with her?

She's in a 150l tank with 3 goldfish, a goldfish/koi hybrid and 4 other weather loaches, all of which are very healthy. Water parameters are fine, I do large weekly water changes and clean the filters every time. The same 9 fish have been in the tank for about a year.

FishyLady

Re: Poorly golden weather loach

Post by FishyLady » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Could the tank he overcrowded? Just an observation.
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

smh18

Post by smh18 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 am

Yes I know I have a lot of fish in there. I have a 6000+ litre pond nearing completion for the goldfish when they're bigger. I've put my little loach girl in a hospital tank now and on observing her I think she may have swim bladder problems.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:15 pm

In almost all cases, where a tank is overcrowded, that is the cause of any observed illness

Fancy dideases do happen, but overcrouwding happens a lot more often. On a sidenote, I never heard of a fish recovering from any infection to the swimbladder.

Most likely this one just happens to be a bit more sensitive than its colleagues, and therefore it warns you by getting ill.

What can help is waterchanging more often

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:24 pm

In almost all cases, where a tank is overcrowded, that is the cause of any observed illness

Fancy dideases do happen, but overcrouwding happens a lot more often. On a sidenote, I never heard of a fish recovering from any infection to the swimbladder.

Most likely this one just happens to be a bit more sensitive than its colleagues, and therefore it warns you by getting ill.

What can help is waterchanging more often