TubeMate – Stream videos even when you are offline or on the go

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bas Pels

Re: advice on soft sand

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 am

on the topic of sand many opinions excist.

Some people like filter sand, others playing sand - I myself got my sand from a road builder.

It was loaded with clay, but in all reality, this has never bothered me. In fact, I'm happy the sand is usable for growing plants

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 am

I myself got Silver Sand which is for horticultural use and is lime free.

It was inexpensive and it didn't need washing.

I believe it to be natural, from rivers and I like the way it looks but I don't grow plants in it so cannot comment on that aspect.

I have not needed to try other types so don't know how it compares but I would recommend Silver Sand.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Cardeater

Post by Cardeater » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

Ive been planning for a future tank upgrade and plan on switching to sand for that tank.

I thought I was sold on pool filter sand but this video has me questioning it.

https://youtu.be/zrlY0OhIADk

This YouTuber says he likes the Nat Geo sand as it's easier to vacuum. Apparently you can syphon it almost like regular gravel whereas PFS, you'd just suck up sand. He does note that it's possible to not have the issues he had with said and detritus if you have strong circulation to keep the mulm off the sand. Also, I've read that it's supposedly not that hard to keep the syphon above the PFS and just lower it enough to only suck up the mulm.

Can anyobe share any thoughts or experiences please? Thanks.

Cardeater

Post by Cardeater » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 am

I just did a quick search on another forum.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... el.588370/

He said it was junk so I don't know

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:50 pm

It can depend on what country you live in & what you can get locally. I've used pool filter sand several times & "play" sand once (I didn't like it; dirty, & compacted easily). I don't like the whiteness of most pool sand in the US but it's larger grains than others & easier to clean...once you get the hang of it.

It will also depend on the loaches you plan to keep. Some are "sand sifters" (they take in sand in their mouths & eject it from their gills, like some cichlids) that need finer sand than just "diggers" (most loaches IME).

It will also depend on if you want a deeper substrate for some plants...or are happy with just a shallow layer of sand & plants that are attached to wood or rocks...or (goodness forbid, lol) no live plants at all.

Cardeater

Post by Cardeater » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 am

I did a little more research on sands.

My plan for the future is if I want to go cheap, I'll probably go for pool filter sand.

If I don't mind spending, I'd probably get Caribesea Torpedo Beach. The grains are supposed to slightly bigger than PFS and it's a lot cleaner. Safe for Rays and I assume loaches.
20lbs for $16.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:59 am

That's quite expensive, more than two dollars for a kilo

emmaorabelle

Re: TubeMate – Stream videos even when you are offline or on the go

Post by emmaorabelle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:09 am

That is pretty pricey—more than two dollars per kilogram.  tunnel rush