Video—please comment

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: Video—please comment

Post by Loachloach » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Glad the baby loach appeared back :D

In terms of feeding, just keeping an eye to see if the young clowns are afraid to compete with the larger and more robust fish. Spreading food around has worked for me because fish can't be at several places at the same time but if you see the small guys are running into issues, hiding when the food is out, etc.., as Nancy says, just offer them some extra when the bigger fish are not as active. Baby clowns are normally super greedy and not skittish so they'll learn very fast when food is coming. Mine, however, were at first afraid of the larger clown loaches :lol: They'd start rushing to the food, then a larger clown would precede them, and the baby(s) would back out of it. Hence, I fed some in the evening as well when my larger clowns were cave men :lol:

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes Nancy and Loach.

I understand the reasoning behind feeding when lights are out. I was simply saying that is not something I’ve done.

Sooooooo, the teensies were both out this morning. Here is a video where I was able to record them both. They are definitely getting greedy for food. What a good sign. And no one messed with them.
I’m so happy. Maybe there is hope yet of all coexisting peacefully.

The teensies are hanging out with my lone cherry barb female. I want to get her more of her kind. I have a feeling the teensies will hang out with them until they realize they should be with their clown Loach “pod”. LOL

https://vimeo.com/299554221

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Awww, so tiny & cute! They sure make everyone else look huge :)

Do any of the fish bother the barb? I'd worry just a little about the size & activity differences. But if she gets enough food...How many are you thinking of getting? Last time I had cherry barbs the males seemed to always be in full breeding mode, very red & quite aggressive to all the others. I was shocked, they always seemed so peaceful when we'd had them before. I wondered if they had hormone treatments to breed them & help them stay so red.

FranM

Post by FranM » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 pm

My last diehard female has been living on her lonesome for a good year. She stays to herself unti it’s feedng time. She is much bigger than the teensies. I would’ve had a few more like barbs if I felt she truly needed mates but she has always been docile.

I used to have eight which I’d gotten in 2010 I believe. The males were pests but there were plenty of plants and room in the 55. They kept to themselves. I was thinking of having ten in all—6 males and 4 females. I have plenty of room and hiding space. The males I had were beautiful deep red, especially when they were getting exited for the females. I even found a cherry barb baby in the 55 once during maintenance.

So I plan on going with 6 of the bright red males for the reason that I have lots of room and thick plants where I’d expect them to hide. If they are exceptionally small I may do a dozen—7 males and 5 females in all.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm glad your cherry barbs were better behaved than my last batch :D Maybe a few more females would be good...since your current female is up in years.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 am

But the bright red is so outstanding. She’s a pretty female I have with a golden orange color. I got lucky with having a more colorful female.

I don’t have anything for the upper level swimmers though and I don’t want to overcrowd. But the top is dull.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Cool video! The two yoyo's I have in my 125 are pretty docile compared to the dojos in the tank. Not sure what's going.... really just wanted to reply that your tank is beautiful :)

FranM

Post by FranM » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Loachnoob.

Thank you for a nice compliment. We work hard to keep our tanks in the best shape we can, and we have lots of pride in them.

I’m happy to say that things are back to normal. No more yo-yo teasing clowns. The silver dollars are getting bopped into again as they always had, and of the two teensy new clowns I bought, one is definitely going to be a winner. Assertive and out and about. The other not so much.

Thanks again.

Fran

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:41 am

and of the two teensy new clowns I bought, one is definitely going to be a winner.
I have found out from experience that every loach has a different character. Some are more outgoing, some skittish, and its evident from the very start when they are little babies. Some of mine, the same exact loaches sleep in plain view right on top of the sand. Others would always hide in the caves. Some bite my hands, others always wait behind the greedier ones..I suppose that's why its good to have a group of them to help the skittish ones feel more confident. Regardless, with time and care, they all get friendlier and more relaxed around the tank.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you Loach!

You think I’m doing more harm than good considering getting two more? Or just let nature take its course?

Thanks again.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Fran,

In terms of getting more company for your current 2 baby loaches,in order to make the shy one more outgoing, I think it may or may not work. I bought single baby loaches twice, quarantining them on their own and they were both super outgoing and bold. I hand fed them. The latest singlet purchase became great friends with the denison barbs and SAES and was pretty much part of their pack all day long until I added two more baby loaches. My other loaches were quite older at the time, also much bigger than him so it took time for him to join. Now he's grown and is part of the bigger pack but it took time. Which tells me that even with loaches, the size difference initially matters and baby loaches prefer to stick to either smaller other fish or smaller other loaches. So if you are getting two more, get them now while they are all around the same size. Eventually, in a couple of years all 6 will stick together.

In the long term also, if room allows, the more loaches, the merrier. I had a group of 6 initially for quite a few years, then 7, now 13 and I can tell that 13 loaches is better than 6, and 6 is better than 4 but having said that, when I had the 6 only, they were still doing their thing and were very healthy.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks, Loach.

Not sure what to do, but you’re right, if I’m going to act it better be now.