Possibly gravid A. choirorhynchus

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Possibly gravid A. choirorhynchus

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:52 pm

I have two horse-faced loaches that I bought from the same shipment. One has always been smaller, but now they're approximately four and five inches long. Because they don't surface a lot during the day with lights on, photos have been scarce. To see them both on the surface is remarkable, but it happened last night.

The larger loach was noticeably fatter - which makes no sense in terms of over eating because I feed the tank very little food. I snuck around the side of the tank, trying not to be seen and got a good look at quite gravid-looking swelling at the posterior part of the belly. A few of my fish have become gravid over the years, and so far only the white clouds managed a brief, unseccessful spawn. But the egg-bound female has a distinctive look about the belly every time.

I have some Amano shrimp in the horse tank, as well as a few tetras. In the incredibly off-chance possibility that my horsies go to stud, do you think I should remove the shrimp as predators on eggs and fry? I could move all the other inhabitants, but I don't want to be disruptive about it.

I promise a photo - even a grainy one - should the opportunity arise.[/i]
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:04 am

I've heard of eggs disappearing when Amano shrimp are around. I think it would be wise to remove them, if you can.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:57 pm

Tonight I caught her out above the sand - and saw the eggs in her belly for the first time. I had no time to set up a good shot with the better camera, but here you are.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:01 am

Very cool Mark! Wouldn't it be lovely to have baby horsefaces! Haven't heard of it, myself. Have you?

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 am

I don't recall even someone saying they've had a gravid horsie. I hope to be corrected if that's not the case. I'm going to take the shrimps out and pop them into another tank.

And man, yes! I am gunning for the fluke on this one, but what the hell. Two of these loaches that know each other well. They might both be female, but here's hoping they're not, and that he's in the mood. That would be an enormous surprise and delight!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:55 am

Nice one Mark!! :wink: I've got some fat one's, but none are clearly "Gravid" like yours. Good luck old chap!

Graeme.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:06 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Nice one Mark!! :wink: I've got some fat one's, but none are clearly "Gravid" like yours. Good luck old chap!

Graeme.
Ta, duck. It's a chance of a lifetime - much better phrased as let's see what happens. If it works, I'm quitting my job and entering the "horsie set."

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:21 am

One point i've seen from your pictures mark, is that the anal spot seems to be covered or next to a peace of gravel/substrate. Pondering sensory actions? I think this Looks and Sounds promising.

Graeme.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:31 am

Great impromptu shots, Mark. Be sure to keep us all updated on this, I've got my fingers crossed! :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.