Video of clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Video of clowns

Post by FranM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm

The “teensies” are getting larger—especially the more dominant one which has grown much more than the smaller teensy ( do you think the smaller one is stunted? ). Good news is the littlest is becoming more confident and spending much more time out. In fact I have seen a standoff between the two teensies.

Over the last few weeks the strides I’ve made in this aquarium have been overshadowed by some issues with a silver dollar. It has a lump/cyst on its side. Yet it still eats and comes out occasionally but mostly stays behind the plants. It’s not getting worse at least. I will have a video of that posted second.

The first video is of the clowns and right at start up shows the two teensies together. Try to see size difference. Then the other two original clowns join in where you can see how much the larger of the teensies has grown. In the background you will see the smaller. Right before video’s end the two teensies will be next to each other again to show the difference in their sizes.

I also added a new light fixture which shows up the color of the clowns better. You may notice some cherry barbs in the background that are doing quite well. Since the new lighting their colors are popping as well.

https://vimeo.com/312409300

https://vimeo.com/309790069

Loachloach

Re: Video of clowns

Post by Loachloach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Looking great Fran.The older clowns are in great shape and the little ones are really cute.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks, Loach.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Reading about your silver dollar. Sorry to hear its been sick.
I wouldn't have any idea what the lump is from but considering the age of the fish, it could be anything. It could be tumor of some sort, etc...If the fish behaves differently, then it is obviously bothered by it but to be honest I don't see anything you can do about it. You can't operate on it so at the moment only time will tell. I once had a cory with a lump and it lived quite a few years after that but the lump didn't seem to bother it at all. I know all this isn't of much help....

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm

It’s ok. I know the problem can’t be solved. Maybe someone has seen something similar, like you, and your cory went on for quite some time. Hopefully the same goes for the silver dollar.

I did a couple salt treatments with a good ten days in between. A yo-yo started flashing so I did a water change and didn’t add more salt the second time. This silver dollar, if you noticed, also has some mouth issue with tissue damage it seems. Don’t know if it’s illness or the result of injury by hitting glass or decor. Coincidentally it had the cyst. Is one caused from another or unrelated? Who knows?

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:24 pm

I didn't notice the mouth issue but to be honest it doesn't sound related to me. Perhaps the lump was annoying him so he hit himself of the glass trying to scrape it off or something and then hurt his mouth? I'd just keep the water clean and hope for recovery. It is anyone's guess what the lump is from and I would not experiment with meds. I don't want to scare you but it could be for example a dead calcified worm he could not expel at the time it died, some are nested in the flesh, or tumor, or issue with an organ failing, old age and weaker immune system, etc...Think from the positive side, you've given him a good life so far.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Dead calcified worm??? Where would that come from?

The mouth has been an issue well before the lump. The lump seemed to have come out of nowhere right after Christmas—like from nothing to WTF!

Maybe the fact that it came on so quickly could be a clue.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Dead calcified worm??? Where would that come from?
I was just saying it could be anything...I've read stuff like that could happen. When we treat with worm meds for example, the fish expels stuff from the gut but those anchored in the flesh can stay and actually rot in the fish if the immune system doesn't deal with it in some way...And I was just suggesting things that came to my mind..
Maybe the fact that it came on so quickly could be a clue.
Not really...is slow developing lump any different than one that appeared suddenly? Perhaps it was developing inside the fish until it got big enough to get noticed...There's no solution for everything and in fact when it comes to fish diseases, majority of cases are unresolved. It may not be a fish disease at all but just things that happen to old fish, same as they do happen to old people.

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Thank you.

They are slim bodied. The significant protrusion looks like it came on overnight— especially when I sit at the tank at least once a day to observe all members.