Videos. Cyst bursting. Silver Dollar (lives with loaches)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loachloach

Re: Videos. Cyst bursting. Silver Dollar (lives with loaches)

Post by Loachloach » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Sounds good to me. 3 seems fine. Test every so often when you can until water change time just in case. I think it should not drop that fast at all and 3 will keep things stable.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks, Loach. Thanks for continuing to check in regularly too. I appreciate that. Here is a video.

https://youtu.be/DjQVv5A4Wu8

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm

They look fine to me Fran. I don't see them being stressed from the water change.

The two older loaches seem to be buddies and the smaller ones still roaming separately in their own group of 2. I noticed that with mine when I introduced baby loaches and it is mostly because the baby ones don't trust the bigger fish yet. Eventually they'll all establish a bigger group and stick together.

FranM

Post by FranM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Of the two babies one has grown noticeably, but the other, still teensy. It looks the same size as when I got it. The bigger of the two will often try to roam with the other two larger clowns.

The tiniest teensy has come a long way—very curious and active. I’m happy about that. For the first couple months it hid ALL the time. Some days I thought he didn’t make it.

All good. Thanks again,Loach.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 pm

As I suspected, and as I was afraid, only 24 hours later, the pH has dropped from 8.2 to 7.2 and the KH has already dropped from three to about 1 1/2 to 2. Clearly I need to add baking soda already.

TDS has stayed the same at 162.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I'd personally hold on for another day and test again. See if the drop is the same the day after as the water in the tank after the big water change is adjusting to new levels.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 pm

I'd think you should not get another pH drop or it defeats the whole purpose of having a KH value. Technically speaking, having a readable KH means the swing in pH is limited to none....Even with a KH of 2 you should be fine for an entire week or else, clean your test tubes with distilled water.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey Fran, how's the tank going.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:18 pm

I was just coming on here to give updates not only in tank but on silver dollar too.

Tank has been going well. I couldn’t hold out not adding baking soda and I had added two teaspoons. This was on the 17th. I’ve checked parameters several times and just did a 1/3 wc today.

TDS was up to 182 and is back to 147.

I did not check KH yet. It was at 3 before I started. I didn’t add baking soda this time so far and I changed less water. I will check it tomorrow.

Nitrate was at 20. PH 8.0

All inhabitants look very well and the silver dollar with lump is out a lot! The hole is getting smaller. Hard to believe that 3 months ago I expected it to have died figuring the lump was cancerous. Today it’s amazing. Loach, thank you for checking in. :D Here is short video.

https://youtu.be/MVsebByZ-ZE

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Wow, Fran. Great news on the Silver Dollar. He's behaving like the rest of them, acting active and happy which means he's recovering.....So nice to hear. It just proves that when one goes the extra mile it can pay off.

And the tank is looking great. I noticed your good surface movement which is nice to see in a tank as oxygen is everything.

Well done...

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks,Loach!! I do try.

Yeah I’m really still in awe of the whole silver Dollar transformation. Thanks for your support.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Really happy for you Fran.

And have a great weekend.

FranM

Post by FranM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Thank you. You too, Loach!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Wow, Fran, the balck spot looks lots smaller! Good job!

FranM

Post by FranM » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Nancy.

Thanks! I never expected this fish to survive going from a prominent lump, to the lump breaking through the muscle wall exposed to the elements and then surviving the open wound, which, is healing wonderfully—especially for ten year old fish! So yes, I’m happy. And the rest of the crew looks to be doing well also.

Loach. I haven’t added any baking soda since the last 30% w/c and the KH is 3. So I’m leaving well enough alone right now.

Thanks, ladies.

Fran