Gluing Plants on to driftwood

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

vickyperkin

Gluing Plants on to driftwood

Post by vickyperkin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:25 am

I have glued some plants on pieces of driftwood and also a pebble. I used Superglue Gel and followed instructions from Youtube.
I seem to have quite a lot of dieback,, they are anubias, java fern and some grasses, perhaps time to feed them? or will they pick up once their roots are established. Was going to get some Seachem Flourish for the plants but iust been reading bad things about it i.e. fish dying after it's use!!

Bas Pels

Re: Gluing Plants on to driftwood

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:40 am

Anubias, Java Fern take their nutrients out of the water by the leaves. Roots are only for staying put.

However, the glue can contain haurmfull ingredients, but more importantly, your tank might be way different from wherever they were grown before. In such a case dynig back, and later regrow, would be a normal response.

Personally I don't really like them, therefore I have no personal experience in how long such a thing normally takes.

I would not feed them, unless the tank is curreently without fishes, as plant feed = excrement from the fishes. That is, feeding plants will decrease the water quality for your fishes.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Grasses, depending on what type, may be a lot more difficult to grow than Java ferns & anubias. Most grasses are planted in the substrate, not glued anywhere.

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am

The only grass I have is giant hair grass and it is planted in the sand substrate with root tabs.
However, I have quite a few java fern glued to driftwood and it is doing great. I actually need to trim some of it. And super glue gel is safe for plants and fish.
I also do the recommended dose of Seachem Flourish once a week. I’ve been using that since January with no issues.

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

I have issues posting pictures lol!
So hopefully this is not rotated!
Behind the red tiger lotus are java fern glued to both driftwood and a rock. This is in my 75 g that houses barbs and Botia dario.

Ok, hopefully this is right side up!
Last edited by Basil on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:13 pm

The good news is the pic is not on its side

The bad news is, however, that it is upside down :mrgreen:

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Hmmm, not sure if that is an improvement or not lol!
I tried to fix it. When they look correct on my phone, everyone else sees them sideways or upside down. :shock:
But hopefully, the OP gets the idea!