Weather loach tankmates

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Squeep

Weather loach tankmates

Post by Squeep » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:59 am

Hello!

We have two new weather loaches. They seem to be very greedy (serious nibbling of our hands). I was planning on having them with my hillstream loaches (sewellia lineolatas) but now a bit dubious that they'll be eaten!

Does anyone keep weather loaches and sewellias together?

If these can't be together we'll get another big tank (they're in a quarantine tank right now)... are there any 'clean up crew' fish you can keep with weather loaches or are they better just kept alone? Or any other fish generally? Or invertebrates?

Ps One is grey and now called Pebble, the other is a shiny opal type colour (yellowy orangey bronzey) and needs a name! If anyone has ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bas Pels

Re: Weather loach tankmates

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:30 am

Weather loaches come from nortern, quiet, waters. They can breath air, because the water can be poor in oxygen. That is, the water can be very filthy.

Sewellia come from fast moving waters, very clean, very rich in oxygen, that is saturated in oxygen.

Perhaps the temperatures pH and hardness of their preference may be similar (I would not know) but I would never put them in the same tank.

Squeep

Post by Squeep » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:52 am

Ok thank you for your reply

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Maybe think about rosy barbs or denisonii barbs as tankmates. Like Bas Pels said sewellia are not the best choice.