Botia species "Tenasserim River", Emperor Botia.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark Janssen

Post by Mark Janssen » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:40 am

very nice pictures indeed!!!
my loache site

7 Botia histronica's & a couple of sid's/Kuhli's

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:22 pm

Excellent photo's.

Could I have permission to use them please in a scientific article I am halfway doing? Do you know where the importer specifically got them from? What is the largest size?

These fish are rare in museum collections. Sorry to say this but when they eventually die (which I hope is many years down the line), could you preserve them please and get in contact with me?

Many thanks

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:03 am

Thanks for the nice comment on the pix guys.

TDO,
you may use those pix posted in LOL.

I don't have other details as the importer or most importer will kept them as "secret".

FYI, that specimen in the floating box is 5.5in TL.

do let me have a copy of the "sci" article (if possible) when done as i may learn more abt this loach sp. :)

thks

ben

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:37 am

Emma Turner wrote: I've just been reliably informed by my supplier that the water conditions at the collection location are pretty soft and acidic (pH 6.0-6.5), so anyone lucky enough to purchase a group of these chaps (and please do make sure a group is purchased despite the high price tag) these are the sort of conditions you should be aiming to keep them in. It took the fisherman more than 3 days to collect these loaches from a very difficult location and it would be just terrible if fishkeepers were to purchase single specimens. I encourage people to do the right thing. The ones I have imported will not be sold in groups of less than 3. 8)

Emma
I FULLY agreed with what Emma had mentioned in the other thread.

See, due to some stocking issue of my LFS, I managed to pick up 1 specimen and 2 more later.

These are my observations:

My first pick up - Loach #1 is very healthy yet it stays inactive most of the time and will roam around only when light out. It didn’t feed (at least, I didn’t managed to see) during the solo period. However, its behavior changes when I added 2 more. They begin to get active and “play” even when the light is turned on. That also includes feeding in the open area shortly after I have added them into the tank.

Now…. I picked up another 2 - making the group of total 5… they just went “crazy” with a surge of boldness seemingly “taking over” the whole tank.
Last edited by amiidae on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:43 am

amiidae wrote:Thanks for the nice comment on the pix guys.

TDO,

I don't have other details as the importer or most importer will kept them as "secret".

do let me have a copy of the "sci" article (if possible) when done as i may learn more abt this loach sp. :)

thks

ben
Thank you very much Ben. I will of course let you have a copy of the article. Please supply me with your full name.

I went to BAS at Bolton yesterday. They had 50 large specimens at £50 each. I was told that the exporter only had 250 fish that he sent worldwide.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:17 am

I bet that will be 250 loaches distributed every 5 five years! :wink:

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:28 am

The.Dark.One wrote:
amiidae wrote:Thanks for the nice comment on the pix guys.

TDO,

thks

ben

Thank you very much Ben. I will of course let you have a copy of the article. Please supply me with your full name.

I went to BAS at Bolton yesterday. They had 50 large specimens at £50 each. I was told that the exporter only had 250 fish that he sent worldwide.
Whoa, thats a lot of money :lol:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:00 am

The.Dark.One wrote:I went to BAS at Bolton yesterday. They had 50 large specimens at £50 each. I was told that the exporter only had 250 fish that he sent worldwide.
We had a customer ring us up about prices of these chaps the other day. As I said earlier, at M/A Peterborough we are not giving a price upfront for single specimens, only groups of 3. This particular customer had phoned BAS beforehand and was told the price of a single fish and that there was no deal price on buying a small group. This cannot be good. Needless to say, the customer (who is very into loaches) was not impressed with BAS.
My stock is going through a few rounds of Levamisole and I will ensure they are feeding well before putting my stock on sale.
These beautiful fish have already gone through such a lot to get to our shops, so the least we can do is give them the respect they deserve and keep them in groups that they are accustomed to.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:18 am

The.Dark.One wrote:I went to BAS at Bolton yesterday. They had 50 large specimens at £50 each. I was told that the exporter only had 250 fish that he sent worldwide.
I sure hope that the Emperors are not a selling tool for the shop! You know.....willing to lose a profit on these Emperors for sales in other area's. :?

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:24 pm

Emma Turner wrote:
We had a customer ring us up about prices of these chaps the other day. As I said earlier, at M/A Peterborough we are not giving a price upfront for single specimens, only groups of 3. This particular customer had phoned BAS beforehand and was told the price of a single fish and that there was no deal price on buying a small group. This cannot be good. Needless to say, the customer (who is very into loaches) was not impressed with BAS.
My stock is going through a few rounds of Levamisole and I will ensure they are feeding well before putting my stock on sale.
These beautiful fish have already gone through such a lot to get to our shops, so the least we can do is give them the respect they deserve and keep them in groups that they are accustomed to.

Emma
I agree Emma

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sun May 13, 2007 8:16 am

short Vid clip in my "grow up" tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9aRw8VZDSI

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 am

Great video amiidae :D , more please.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 am

it sounds like BAS has no respect for these stunning fish. they are beautifull, and i think Emma's way is spot-on. if you only buy 1 after knowing their needs, you should have them.
Now…. I picked up another 2 - making the group of total 5… they just went “crazy” with a surge of boldness seemingly “taking over” the whole tank.
amiidae that must have been a great sight. thanks so much for sharing your experiences. i dont think i will be able to have these fish, so reading and pictures will have to do. cheers :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Excellent stuff, amiidae. :D
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun May 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Superb video, amiidae. 8)