Extra Filtration??

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ana

Extra Filtration??

Post by Ana » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:27 am

:D
Hello everyone !

This is my first posting in this new forum format. I like it ! :)

I would like to have your advice on the following matter.

My aquarium is a Trigon 350 (77 gallons/350 litres) that comes with an internal filter (inside: 2 fine, 2 coarse sponges, 1 carbon, and 1 white filter wool).

All my fishes are doing fine, including my 6 loaches that are getting bigger by the day... :o

However, I have noticed that the water is possible not as crystal clear as it should be. Should I purchase a further filter system ? If yes, what kind of system would you recomend :?: :? :? :?

Many thanks for all your advice, which has been very helpfull in previous times.

Ana

mary.burns3

Post by mary.burns3 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:34 am

I have Juwel Vision 260, 65 US galls, with 10 clowns, 5 at 3.5" and 5 around 2" with 10 prescilla tetra. It came with 1000 litre/hour powerhead and I recently put the new 1500 litre/hour powerhead on for 2 reasons. Clowns love good flow in tank and also a huge tree trunk home for them had reduced the flow. I change 15 to 20% of water twice a week, they are fed 3 times a day, lunch being algae wafer or veggies. My water is clear with nitrate around 12.5. So at moment, the Juwel internal filtration is good, I do use the nitrate sponges,changing them every 4 weeks, not 6 as juwel suggest. I know the Trigon is a corner tank, and maybe the flow is different, or a better powerhead may help. The 1500 l/h is about £40. I know it's expensive, but I'm planning my bigger tank with internal and external filtration, so the powerhead will go with them and get used there. When I feed them, the flow is good at front and they have to chase the food. You could add an external filter as well to help, if you are sure you are not over feeding or tank is overstocked causing cloudy water. Mary

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:21 pm

Juwel tanks have good large media baskets which do help alot but their power heads are to be desired, especially for loach tank set-ups. A extra internal canister filter wouldn't do any harm, in-fact your loaches will love the extra turn over and aeration.

Graeme.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Yes, I'd also suggest either an additional internal filter, an external filter, or a decent power head. The Hagen Aquaclear power heads are excellent as you can add a Quick Filter attachment to the bottom of them. I'd suggest the Aquaclear 402, which will give you a turn-over rate of approx 3 times an hour on your tank. Positioned near the top of the aquarium, with the flow diverter facing upwards will give you lots of water movement and aeration, which the loaches will very much appreciate. The Quick Filter attachment will help to 'polish' the aquarium water, plus the cage & fine filter insert stop any fish from being drawn in to the motor. The actual fine filters within the cage are disposable, you just replace them when they get clogged. The rate at which you replace them will depend on stocking level, amount of food, frequency of maintenance etc. Expect to pay around £35 for the power head, about £6 for the Quick Filter attachment, and roughly £4 for a pack of two fine filter inserts. On the other hand, expect to spend about £100 on an external filter, such as the Fluval 405 for example. This will give you a huge amount of extra media space, plus the return from the spraybar (positioned at the water's surface) will be much more powerful than the Juwel filter.
Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 pm

As Emma says, I would be inclined to go for the Cannister filter. You've got quite high stocking levels there which will get tighter as the fish grow.
I would look for high turnover and extra media capacity. No experience with the new Fluvals, but I like Rena Filstars. I have two XP3's on the 6-foot Clown tank.

They return via spraybars set at different levels below the surface and intake at the other end of the tank. Lots of current.

Martin.
Last edited by Martin Thoene on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shari

Post by shari » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Now THAT's a pretty tank :D

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Shari wrote:Now THAT's a pretty tank :D
Thanks Shari :D It's the 6 foot tank you & Robin saw with the Cichlids in it before.

The view from the couch at night is most relaxing........

......if only the Clowns would come out at that time.

I'm thinking Image as Dither Fish. Even if it doesn't work, the barbs will be something to watch ...............apart from the Corys that is.

And Ana, I forgot that one of the Renas flows back through a Magnum 350 cannister that I found discarded by someone. It was inop, so I removed the impeller and made it into extra media capacity....Like so....

Also forgot to mention there's an Aquaclear 500 HOB on the left back end of the tank and one of my River-Tank manifolds......

.......under the sand, powered by two small powerheads..............so there's Image of current!

Martin :P
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Great choice for dithers. Tigers look very nice when they color up.
Maybe if you add them, the clowns will be out during evening "couch time". :)

By the way, that tank is really looking good. I like the mix of cobbles and sand as well as the wood and plants. It looks very natural. The clowns seem to like it too.

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:14 am

On my 90 gal loach tank I have 2 Aquaclear 300 (Now the AC 70)[good for 140 gal tank], one on either side of each heater.
My Tanks
you can never have too much filtration imo, and the tank is very clear. the only reason i dont have more is I dont have enough clearance to the wall for bigger ones. add some filter sponge over the intake so plants material doesnt clog it up like mine does! :roll:Hagen Aquaclear 70
My tanks

I still miss my husband sometimes...
But my aim is getting better.

Ana

Post by Ana » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:53 am

Thank you all for your advice.

I think I am going to go with the external filter possibly the one that Emma mention - Fluval 405 (canister filter), as the clowns are growing, and it will save me in the future to have to upgrade again. At the end of the day, I want to provide the best water quality and environment for all.

I have never seen that type of filter before, (other than on the internet), but I am hopping that it shouldn't be to complicate to install.

I am sorry, that I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to this technical side. But I have only kept 1 fairly small aquarium in the past.

So, thank you again for all your help.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:02 am

Excellent Ana, the Clowns will thank you for it! :D
If you get stuck installing it, just post a message on here and we'll see if we can help. They are usually pretty straightforward, but if you've never used an external before I can understand why it might seem a bit daunting. Once you've got it, let us know how you're getting on.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:22 pm

I agree! Great choice! :D

If you have any question regarding setting up the Fluval 405 or anything about "priming" the filter, then just ask away! :D