What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Is there anything Russ Meyer couldn't do?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Just watched The Magnificent Seven tonight. Great movie.
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:41 pm

I just watch Pan's Labyrinth for the second time. I can't recommend it enough! Truly a great movie!
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:51 pm

You two are lucky. I suffered through the pointless, noisy, and over-long The Departed on Thursday night, and the tiresome and over-long Zodiac the night before. Last week it was some nameless crap with Matt Damon as a spy in an over-long spy movie that was completely bereft of action, suspense or interest.

Are there no editors in Hollywood?

The Magnificent Seven is a pretty good film, but of course it's just a tribute to Seven Samurai, which is an infinitely better film. And Pan's Labyrinth is just amazing.

The Kapenta Kid

Post by The Kapenta Kid » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:48 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Is there anything Russ Meyer couldn't do?
Ah, Russ Meyer and Kitten Natividad, the lost age of innocence :(
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!! << Classic :!:

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:02 pm

I watched a movie today called Unknown. It had James Caviezel & Greg Kinnear in it & was really good. It sounds like Saw, where 5 guys regain consciousness in a warehouse, some beaten, some restrained, none know how they got there or even who they are. But it's no horror movie, more of a thriller/wtf is going on kinda movie. Really good IMO.
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

rich

Post by rich » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 pm

Yesterday I had " Saving Grace" a film about an old Lady with special gardening skills.
Today it's "A river runs through it".
Good movies, at least for my easily chalenged mind. I can look Brazil as often as I want, I wont get it.
rich

don`t grumble, give a whistle (Monty Python)

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Dave C wrote:I watched a movie today called Unknown. It had James Caviezel & Greg Kinnear in it & was really good. It sounds like Saw, where 5 guys regain consciousness in a warehouse, some beaten, some restrained, none know how they got there or even who they are. But it's no horror movie, more of a thriller/wtf is going on kinda movie. Really good IMO.
I believe The Cube was the first film to run on that premise - mixed bag of strangers coming together in a nasty situation. I could be wrong, but I think it's a Canadian scenario.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Yeah but from what I've read this movie is nothing like the Cube. The fact that they're trapped in the warehouse is a result of their own actions rather then some nefarious trap. Their memory loss is also an accident rather then planned. It's more similar to the Reservoir Dogs then Saw.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm

I'll watch for it.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 am

I watched Empire of the Sun last night. Great movie. First role for Christian Bale at 13 and he basically IS the movie... pretty much in every scene. And the scenery is amazing. Also a first for Ben Stiller albeit a much smaller role.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:21 pm

I've been tempted to see this, but the novel is so good I'm fearing disappointment.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Few movies lived up to the book. From what I understand Malkovich's character (Basie) is much toned down from the book & is really just an opportunistic American. The movie is worth watching just to see Christian Bale IMO. And 1941 China a la Spielberg is something to see.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:42 pm

btw, I watched & really liked The Quiet Earth. Turns out it's written by a guy named Craig Harrison from New Zealand. It's long out of print & had a very short run to begin with so I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I stumbled across a thread on a movie site where some guy in NZ has the book & is willing to ship it to interested readers. So it's on the way to me & then I'll be getting an address of the next reader. I doubt the book will live up to the hype I've attributed to it but it should be a fun read.