What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:38 am

Sorry, you interpreted that as a personal attack which isn't how it was intended. I meant anybody who just interprets the movie at face-value. You clearly saw a lot of the sub plot nuances that I'm sure Mark caught too. That's one reason I liked the movie a lot. It was rather multi-layered but I agree that some of it's humour did detract from the overall enjoyment. That part where they are all emoting over the lost girl's photograph was just stupid IMO.
Generally, I found it an interesting insight into either the screen-writer's and/or the director's sense of humour and reverence of other movies. There were a lot of influences visible in the film, but I also think it kind of sets its own unique genre.

Thanks to Mark for making us aware of it because I had discounted it at Blockbusters based on a rather naff cover.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:15 am

Has anyone seen The Illusionist? Any good?
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 am

Somebody I know who's very into movies....as in he's an extra and played a zombie in George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead....told me The Illusionist is an inferior The Prestige. The latter rocks IMO.

Martin.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:32 am

Well I loved The Prestige so it will be interesting to compare the two.
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

It's hard to compare two different movies like The Illusionist & The Prestige. They're similar in that they both involve magicians so there are sleight of hand types of maneuvers in the plot but that's where the similarity ends. I just watched & loved The Illusionist. Edward Norton does a great job & Giamatti is always good... Jessica Biel... what can you say?

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:39 pm

The movie If finally made into the Criterion Collection on DVD, and I watched it last night with some friends after not seeing it for 20 years or something. Surprisingly effective - but it is what it is. I had totally forgotten about the stylistic bits like suddenly and inexplicably switching between colour and monochrome.

Worth seeing.

This was followed by yet another viewing of Grey Gardens, one of the weirdest documentaries of all times, but VERY entertaining. Cult movie standby.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Somebody I know who's very into movies....as in he's an extra and played a zombie in George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead....told me The Illusionist is an inferior The Prestige. The latter rocks IMO.

Martin.
I liked the The Illusionist better than The Prestige. The Prestige was OK up to the point where it turned into a science fiction flick. After that, it just seemed stupid.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:08 am

The Prestige was crap.

Volver (Almodovar) was very good. On Saturday we had video night and randomly selected Repo Man (how can you not love this stupid movie?) and The Aristocrats (how can you not love this terribly filthy, stupid movie?), and it made for a rather good double bill.

Dr. Momfish

Post by Dr. Momfish » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:The Prestige was crap.

Volver (Almodovar) was very good. On Saturday we had video night and randomly selected Repo Man (how can you not love this stupid movie?) and The Aristocrats (how can you not love this terribly filthy, stupid movie?), and it made for a rather good double bill.
It is totally physically impossible for some of us (read: me) to sit through one video much less two. I think my attention span for films is about 20 minutes. Then I get up, walk around, do something else, tune in, tune out.

It might be my television. However, right at the mo' I have no $$ for a plasma screen or whatever the latest technology is considered to be de rigeur. It's somewhat difficult for me to justify spending $1000 to $1500 on an appliance I'm not sure I will use. Sitting passively in front of a light 'box' strikes me as being the height of ridiculousness.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am

To each their own. I (very unusually) sat and watched a film on TV last night.
History Television were doing one of their "Fact and Film" nights on the Miami drugs trade in the 70's and 80's. Quite interesting doc followed by the excellent "Blow" with Johhny Depp......a dramatisation of the "career" of George Jung who was BIG in the Cocaine biz at that time.
Strangely, he got no mention in the documentary part.

Johhny Depp as usual was totally excellent in this part.

Martin.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 pm

I just watched Cool Hand Luke. I've seen bits & pieces of it before but never the full movie. What a great flick. Kind of a combo Papillon/One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. Newman was great. Sad movie though.

Dr. Momfish

Post by Dr. Momfish » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 pm

I don't quite understand this intense movie fetish business. Is it an avoidance of reality? Is it that real life doesn't happen for some? Sad.....

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:48 pm

I don't understand why you show so much interest in discussing the lives of others but so little empathy. Don't worry about my life, it suits me fine. As I'm sure yours suits you, though it's hard to tell the way you complain about every minute facet.

fwiw I was in line for passport renewal for 3 hours today. I had my portable video player and watched a movie. Standing/sitting in line for 3 hours was a reality I was happy to avoid. Many of the movies I watch are viewed this way avoiding stuff like that. But I doubt you really care, you're more interested in taking digs. Perhaps you're on the rag. Maybe Martin would like to earn some red wings. Ha ha ha, you're right, this is fun!

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 pm

Yeah, Momfish - there's this thing called cinema. It's not just the forum posters who take part. Most movies are crap, but there are some sensational ones. No need to pooh-pooh other people's enjoyment of good things.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm

The booze & self-pity are flowing at the Kadar residence tonight.