Single Yo-Yo?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm

You guys talk about transferring loaches so casually...

Do you have any tips to catching these little buggers without chasing them around and stressing them?

In the past, I had no problems catching my clowns once the tank was stripped but the skunks were just a PAIN.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Drain most of the water from the tank and store it in containers such as those used for storing RO water. With a much smaller volume of water, the loaches are much easier to catch as they are unable to dart around so much or swim up and over the net. :wink: Then afterwards you can carefully pour the water from the containers back into the tank.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

KMJvet

Re: Single Yo-Yo?

Post by KMJvet » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:37 pm

So, if I followed this discussion, there really is no loach solution for a 20 gal tank in terms of pest snails? The ones that do well alone and don't get too big, won't eat snails. The ones that eat snails, need groups to be happy and thus a bigger tank. So, for 20 gals, it's assassin snails and manual removal? Have I understood right?

Regarding yo-yo's I have two, I think one female and one male, in a 50 gal. I had a 3rd, but it kept escaping to the back of the tank through some about 1/4 inch openings the water flows through. Even when they look too big, these guys are shape shifters and can get through. Then one day he never came back and I can't find any trace, so I take it he died somewhere. The two remaining seem fine together. Should I still get a 3rd, even if it will be a lot smaller than the existing pair? Or would two more since they're small be a lot better? Or can I continue with just these two? The reason I'm hestitating to get a 3rd again is it would no doubt be smaller and thus for several months be able to easily escape to the back of my corner tank, which it appears is not so safe. thanks for opinions