Clown fan sayin hello.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownMob

Clown fan sayin hello.

Post by ClownMob » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:02 am

HI there folks at Loaches online. I've been using your site as a resource for my clown loaches for awhile now, saw your new forum and thought I'd say hello.

Hello. :D

I've got a group of 5 clown loaches in a 75g tank. Had them almost a year and really glad I got em. really enjoy their silly antics and hoping all goes well and I can grow them to some size. all bout 2" when I got them, range from 3-4" now as the 2 dominant ones are putting on size much faster, and the omega fella noticeably smaller than the others.

One unusual feature about my clowns is one has the 4-stripe pattern thats a little different. thats him in my avatar. he's also the slowest grower, maybe odd-man out a bit. :)

anyway, wanted to say your indexes and so forth have been an excellent resource for helping raise my clowns, and I hope your forum continues to grow. I'm active on an Oscar forum, have an O also, and know more about them than loaches for sure, so I know how much you can learn from others experiences on these forums.

so I'll go have a look around. :D

Here's a pic of most of the gang:
and have a little trio of botia striata(?) "zebra" loaches in a small tank with a Ram cichlid:
that's the loach collection for now, future plans are 10-15 clown gang in their own 75 or so. :D

quick question as I have read different things:
Whats the average max size that home aquarium clowns will reach, and how long does it take them to attain max size? (just averages, not gonna hold ya to it or anything! :lol: )

thanks.
Last edited by ClownMob on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

barbara

Post by barbara » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:08 am

really nice clowns there! i love the variety of markings on them. i don't think you should plan on 12-15 in a 75G though....just my opinion as they will grow to quite large. how long? i don't know but they can get to at least 8". maybe emma will comment as she has a large group of them and recently got a huge one from someone...i think it is around 12"....and of course they are bulky fish too...not just long. but you know that. : ) nice striatas, too. they are my favorite i guess. although that is hard to say. all my loaches are interesting.
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:48 am

Hi there,
That's a nice group of Clowns you have :)
A 75 will not be big enough to house adult Clowns, you'll need a tank at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for that (over 600 litres in volume) as like Barbara has said - they do not only grow longer, but also much bulkier. Adult Clowns are very very fast and powerful fish, and they require a lot of swimming space. Many people report having specimens between 8 and 10", but I do have a few that are bigger than that. Here is an overhead shot of two of my 'monsters' that are now in my 1000 litre tank:

As you can see, they are approx 10.5" and 11.5" long and have quite a wide girth. If you plan on keeping your guys long term, you will have to invest in a larger set-up for them. Unlike your Oscars which also grow large, Clowns are active shoaling fish that move around a lot more so they need a much roomier aquarium.
Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

jerry_tyler

clowns

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:13 am

Its good to see the clowns. I finally got 4 6 inche ones in my 540. Can't wait to watch them grow.

shari

Post by shari » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Hello :)

And welcome. ;-)

those are nice clowns you've got there.

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:40 pm

thanks for the welcome and the comments. :)

great pics emma, :shock: some monstas indeed. beautiful fish there. lookin forward to learnin more about how my clowns are gonna grow-up and so forth.

also I'd like to say that the 10-15 in 75 or so was more figurative, shoulda just said I'd like to have a big school one day. more like 10, and prolly 225g-300g maybe? anyway, thats well down the road, just think that would be a cool tank, wasnt really thinkin particulars.

back to the real world, couple more questions about my present clowns if ya'll have the time.

Like I said, 5 clowns right now in my 75g. always figured on an a bigger tank in the future, but I'm thinking my 75g will hold them a couple years? Is this off-base?

I guess what I'm after is the tank sizes that ya'll recommend for groups of clowns, and do folks generally upgrade tanks as the clowns grow slowly?

For instance at my Oscar forum we suggest minimum tank size for 1 Oscar as 55g, better still 75g, and to go ahead and get the bigger tank right away because they grow so fast and you'll need it in 6 months anyway and so forth.

ok I'll stop firing questions now :D , I'll keep researchin around the site as well, I'm sure this stuff I'm asking is in here anyhow.

thanks again loachheads, and pleasure to meet ya :)
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:23 am

Hi there :) BEAUTIFUL guys you got :):)

I have 9 of them, now, one of which is 15 years old and ~10". Here's a picture of Albert with a couple friends...

I've only had him for about a year, but I feel very lucky to have gotten him. When someone needs to get rid of an animal they have had for that long, it's nice to be deemed worthy of taking over for them :D

The 5 I got about 3 1/2 years ago are now 4+". They started in a 40g breeder, but within 6 months, I upgraded them to a 80g. After I got Albert and his 3 friends, I upgraded again to a 125g. What was said earlier about the big guys being STRONG AND FAST is so true. Seeing Fat Albert cruise is nice, but seeing him get spooked and FLY across the tank, ripping up any plants in his way, is an eye opener. :shock:

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 am

Hello Loach Fan!
My tanks

I still miss my husband sometimes...
But my aim is getting better.