Mixing them up a bit??

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Munkee

Mixing them up a bit??

Post by Munkee » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 pm

I was hoping that you folks might have some advice as for what I can add to a 75G tank. I am currently keeping 6 B.Striata and was thinking of upping the shoal, but was also wondering if a small shoal of Histies would be ok with the 6 B.Striatas?

Should I just stick to only B.Striatas and add a few more, or mix things up a bit and add some B.Histronicas as well? If so, how many can I safely add without overstocking?

I have two large canister filters running so I am moving about 800G per hour with the filters and I have 2 powerhead as well for current.
"For one to fly you need only take the reins." Author Unknown

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:20 am

Hi Munkee,

Those two species make for a great mix, in my experience. In fact my parents have a 4ft tank which has been home to groups of Botia striata and B. histrionica for some years now. In case you haven't already seen the pics, have a look at these couple of old threads:

:arrow: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2763
:arrow: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=4195

Stocking density will obviously depend on what other fish you have in the tank apart from the 6 B. striata. If you are not heavily stocked, I would say you would be fine to add 2 or 3 more B. striata and 7 or 8 B. histrionica.

Hope this helps,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Munkee

Post by Munkee » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:24 am

Excellent! Thank you so much Emma. I have only the 6 B.Striata at the moment. I will definately follow your advice. As I build up the population, I'll be sure to post the progress. :D

The photos are great. Thank you for sharing them with me.
"For one to fly you need only take the reins." Author Unknown