Melvin the big Yo-Yo and a few smaller friends

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fish_frenzy

Melvin the big Yo-Yo and a few smaller friends

Post by fish_frenzy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:37 pm

This pic was taken March of 07- She hasn't got a pic with a ruler...I told her to take a few showing his length but seriously, she is showing him at our show in the fall and he is just amazing! The other Yo-Yo with more gold/vivid markings is my dominant male at 6". He is extremely camera shy so those are the best I can get. As soon as she takes the newer pics I will update.
Looney for Loaches!

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Oh my!:shock: This also contains pics of Betsy and Bertha.;)
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=13738
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:51 am

wow, that is a beautifull fish :D but is it a he? it looks podgier around the belly than all over, like fish fingers.

do you know how old it is?

we shall expect you to pester your friend to take more photos :lol:

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:56 am

LOL! I think it's a female, but she named it melvin anyway. He was given to her a week before that pic was taken, and the owner didn't tell her how old it is. He is always that chubby.

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:25 pm

that is one of the most stunning almorhae ive ever seen,
and you say this fish is 10 inches WOW,
is that with the tail or without?.

mick
ps yours is a good looker as well :wink:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Melvin is a beauty. 8) Would be great to see a shot alongside a ruler at some point, when the chance arises. Thanks for posting the pic!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

fish_frenzy

Post by fish_frenzy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks all! I will pass the remarks onto Tracy...she will be pleased. I talked to her earlier today and she said he/she is about 10.2 inches with the tail. I told her we would like a pic with a ruler and she told me to get over there and do it cause he scares her lol! He is really a monster to handle, I remember when she first got him, he jumped out of the tank, nailed her with the eye spine thingy (her words) and killed a Electric Yellow all in one day (he tortured it to death) ran it mercilessly around the tank until it just dropped. She told me when she decides to sell him, I get first dibs...I can't wait!

It came from one of the filthiest tank I have ever seen. No water changes in years, he just added water when it got to half empty. Algae was almost an inch thick (Tracy took the fish, we took the tank). It took 2 of us 6 hours just to get the algae off and the hard water buildup. It would have been easier to pressure wash it.

The owner only fed the fish once every week or so. There were 2 Jack Dempsays, 3 Convict Cichlids, 2 Zebra Obliquidens, 3 Electric yellows, 2 Rusty Cichlids, 2 Electric Blues, 3or4 Kenyi and the 1 Yo-Yo in a 120G tank. I was truly surprised at the size of all the fish...They were HUGE!

Tammy
Looney for Loaches!